Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

95 Blazer- how to relieve fuel pressure before replacing fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Beginning Member
riverjamie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 95 Blazer- how to relieve fuel pressure before replacing fuel filter?

What's the best way to relieve fuel pressure before replacing the fuel filter? I do not have any special fuel pressure releaving equipment. Also when replacing the filter I notice that it does not come with any "O" rings for the fuel lines, should I replace them? I'm also probably going to have to replace the Fuel Pressure Regualtor (FPR). I've read a few things on this. They talk about something called the "Nut"? Can someone explain what it is? Will I need to replacethe"Nut"when installing the FPR?

Thanks

Old 09-24-2007, 11:09 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 95 Blazer- how to relieve fuel pressure before replacing fuel filter?

Disconnect the negative battery terminal and open the fuel filler cap. On the top of your engine where the fuel lines are you will see a schraeder valve.Remove the cap,take a narrow blade screwdriver, wrap a couple of shop rags around the valve area and use the screwdriver to press the valve core in the schraeder, releasing the pressure.
Under the truck, inside the passenger frame rail (on 95's), is the filter. Remove the nuts holding the filter to the lines, release the filter clamp from the frame, take the filter out of it.
The 'nut' you refer to is the name for a fuel injector spider. It's not involved in this procedure.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 95 Blazer- how to relieve fuel pressure before replacing fuel filter?

You could also remove the fuel pump relay and attempt to start the engine. This will depressurize the system without spilling a drop of fuel.

On the 'nut' kit, this is the internal lines that connect the external fuel lines with the fuel injection spider. If you remove the spider to replace the FPR, then you will want to replace those internal lines. Many people have not and ended up doing so later due to leaks. For some reason, these parts are very difficult to get back together without leaks once they have aged.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-24-2007, 01:38 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Shoot, even using a pressure gauge with a drain line I only got maybe four drops of fuel from the schraeder.Now gettingthe filter off without dropping fuel - you're a better man than I.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

HA! Yeah, I was more speaking about the FPR than the filter, but there's nothing you can do about it there.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
DM6156 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you relieve the pressure at the value under the hood be sure to do it with a cold engine, don't risk starting a fire.

- Dan M