Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 4.3L 4x4 LT Short in Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 05:03 PM
the_unrite is on a distinguished road
Default 96 4.3L 4x4 LT Short in Transmission

I'm new to this forum.

I have a 1996 4.3L 4x4 Chev Blazer with 140,000miles on it. I had a recent engine swap due to bad engine knock. A week after the swap I went on a 300 mile round trip. On my way back home I was traveling at 65 MPH with the cruise control on. I felt a pulse in speed going down the road then the check engine light came on, and the sound of fluid or something being forced or pulsating maybe to Torque Converter trying to catch. Any way, I took it to auto zone to get it Engine Light read right away. The man there told me that there was a short in shift solenoid 1-2 and 2-3, the short also messed the the Torque Converter. So as of now, when i put the Blazer into drive, it is in 4th gear, if it is necessary i can manually put it into 1st or 2nd via the column, which to me tells me it isn't anything mechanical. I checked for pinched wires and cleaned off a lot of connections and wires and let it dry, disconnected the battery to reset the Computer replaced fuse 24 (transmission) reconnected the battery, turned the key and fried another 10A fuse.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or had this problem before?

Thank you all for your time!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had the transmission serviced recently? It can sometimes lead to a cut wiring harness in the pan if the pan is removed or reinstalled improperly.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:06 PM
the_unrite is on a distinguished road

The transmission was serviced before the motor went bad i guess time could of had a factor, but there was NO indication of anything going wrong... I'm taking it to an R&R Transmission place near my hometown, I'm hopeful that it will be a small quick and inexpensive fix. Thanks for the input.