Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 blazer shift issues to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 AM
zeedough is on a distinguished road
Default 96 blazer shift issues to 3rd

so i bought this 96 blazer over a month ago and i knew it had issues like shifting from 2nd to third and then no gear afterwards so taking it on the highway i only get up to 80 km/hr at 3500-4000 rpm.from what ive read i could have a vac leak or my shift solenoids are bad or it could be my ignition switch?so i looked at the vac lines(the ones i could see at least)and replaced the damaged ones ...no change...next i took my steering wheel column apart to acess the switch and replaced that...no change again also my key is stuck and wont turen all the way back to get out.(tried new lock cylinder but no change again) so i am kinda stuck as i dont want to keep sinking money into the truck if i am not even in the right area of repair.tmrw i am geting codes read i will post results here. ty, also i watched a video on testing my tps with a volt meter,and it said on the video that i should have .5 volts or so when i have the key in the onposistion and then when i move the throttle it would increment up to 5 volts,on mine however i started at 0 volts and incremented up to 4 volts.im not sure if the volts matter so much as how evenly they climb? if somebody could explain that as well it would be appretiated.also i would like to check the solenoids but havent found in my book how or where to look (i realise i have to drop the pan in the trans but havent looked yet under my blazer to know where the pan is,im sure i would find it though).i really hope these problems are all somehow related and it is a relativly simple to fix.thank you all for your input,i would really like to keep this as i have always wanted one.

Last edited by zeedough; 11-15-2013 at 02:01 AM.