Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 blazer trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Blazer4199 is on a distinguished road
Default 96 blazer trans problem

I have a 96 blazer, It shifts fine into 1st and 2nd then its like it goes into neutral then the passing gear kicks in then it shifts to 3rd, no 4th at all. Any suggestions? my next question is what does the A and B solenoid do?

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Will it rev out in 2nd before it feels like it just slips or does it slip in 2nd then shift into 3rd after a bit?

The shift solenoids (A & B) control fluid flow in the transmission to make the necessary shifts. In 1st, both A & B are energized. For 2nd, B is energized. For 3rd, neither are energized, and for 4th, A is energized. Also, the 3-2 solenoid is energized in all but 1st gear.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:17 PM

it don't slip in 2nd, when it shifts from 2nd it free revs up for a second, then the passing gear kicks in, it will pull all the way thou the passing gear, then it will shift into 3rd.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM

nobody know. lol, stumped you all. lol

Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a seal is bad and you have to give higher RPMs to build more pressure for the gear to engage.

I think 'passing gear' is third gear with two extra clutches engaged to prevent slipping since it's running high RPMs with extra torque. So, what you are feeling is probably just the shift into 3rd gear.

Last edited by TZFBird; 12-15-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:22 AM

where are the seals located at, are they something i can change or will i have to have it worked on by a tranny shop.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like the phenomenon typically referred to as '2-3 shift flare'. Basically, it is when the timing between 2nd gear releasing and 3rd gear engaging isn't in sink or 3rd gear is just a bit slow to engage. This can be caused by poor line pressure due to leaks in the system.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 AM

How would i go about fixing it? do you think rebuilding the valve body will fix the problem, or would it be a leak outside or in another part of the transmission?

Old 12-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Google "4L60E 2-3 shift flare". You may be able to correct the issue by replacing the 2-4 servo assembly with a servo assembly used in the Corvette (search "corvette servo"). While you are messing with the transmission, you can install a new boost valve to restore or increase line pressure (depending on size).

Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

A bit off topic, but I was recently on another site with a guy upgrading to a "corvette" servo. He pointed out that it appeared the same as what he took out. Then I thought about it and in the '94, '95, and '02 4L60Es I've done as well as an '88 700R4, they have all looked the same as the "corvette" servo. I'm beginning to wonder if the "corvette servo" upgrade even does anything. I have a few of them labeled, so as soon as I have some heat in the garage I may take some measurements and see if there really is a difference.

Quick Reply: 96 blazer trans problem