Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

96 blazer trouble starting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 PM
Starting Member
bdemutis is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rockp2
The ECT (Engine Coolant Tempature) sensor. It would throw a code on your DTC (Driver Trouble Code...the "check engine" light) of P0118. I asked before, but I don't think you answered...is your check engine light on? If it is, do you have a scan tool? If you don't, the auto parts store will scan your codes for you. Respond with all codes that come up. I will be unavailable after this message until tomorrow night...but there are experts on here that I am learning from and will help you if you give them all the information. Basically, the same things I told you about. DTC codes & fuel leakdown test results. Look for posts from "Captain Hook", swartlkk, 50lb cat and several others. Here is a link that goes over quite a bit. It has many things on Blazers. The diagrams you see are straight from the dealer shop manuals (most of them). https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...e-first-30093/

P.S. By the way...I wouldn't trust that gas in your tank if it is still the gas you bought it with.
Ok thanks for your help I apreaciate it allot and yea I think the check engine light is on and the Service engine soon light is on also. Ill run it up to advance tomorrow and get it scanned and test the fuel pressure while im at it because I have to go there anyway to return exhaust parts and get and extention.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Beginning Member
Mossyoaksilverado is on a distinguished road

Check all the wiring and connectors in the engine that you were working around and make sure connections are tight and there are no damaged wires. Then check fuses and relays. Always start with the easiest things. Make a list and check it off as you go through and confirm each is correct

Old 02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Starting Member

I replaced all the plugs today and temp sensor it still wouldnt start sprayed some eather and she started right up. I put some lucas oil injector cleaner in the gas and took it around the block she dosnt hesitate on pick up I mashed the gas and did a burnout no hesitation at all. My gf's dad is letting me borrow the fuel psi testor. If its not that I dont know what it is because like I said no hesitation when stepping on the gas amediate pick up.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Starting Member

Just got back I went and got it hooked up to the diagnostic machine and no codes or errors came back he said it might be the spider or the fuel pump I can hear the fuel pump kick in when I turn the key and when its running but when I turn the key. I pushed in the valve that you hook the pressure gauge up too and not even a shot glass full of gas comes out it just sprits alittle gas out. I hope this information helps thanks. Brandon D

Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Starting Member

My neighbor who use to be a mechanic said that it might be the mass air flow sensor he said there is a small heater in there that warms up the air on cold days. I hope some one can help me thanks.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Starting Member

I did everything is fine she starts with eather runs strong and good has good pick up hooked it up too the diagnostic machine no codes or errors checked the fuel pressure it went to 60 when key turned forward and stayed steady at 58 no pressure drop. Replaced all the plugs still has trouble starting. I hope this info helps.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM
spittybays

did you put a new battery in it, check the voltage even if you did.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by spittybays
did you put a new battery in it, check the voltage even if you did.
The I baught it from said it was replaced a year ago with the fuel pump but no I didnt what should it be at on my voltmeter to get a good crank? Even when I hook up my battery charger and put it on start it dosnt want to start cold she cranks sputters some times but dosnt start.

Nvm I'll just take it to get tested but what else could it be if my pressure Is holding 55-58 and wont start when the engine is cold.

Got the battery checked out it was bad 90 out of 300 fingers crossed hope a new one fixes my starting isuue.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Beginning Member
vonholt53 is on a distinguished road

i would almost gurantee its your fuel pump i just got done replacing mine and it was doing something alot similiar to that would not start with out starting fluid when it was cold but once it warmed up it would start back up after u turned it off.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by vonholt53
i would almost gurantee its your fuel pump i just got done replacing mine and it was doing something alot similiar to that would not start with out starting fluid when it was cold but once it warmed up it would start back up after u turned it off.
I think its the battery my battery is dead the battery tested 90 out of 300 cranking amps so thats one reason it wasnt turning over without starting fluid so I'll see what happens when I get my new battery tomorrow after class. So I'm hoping it's just the battery didnt have enough cold cranking amps to turn over the engine because the engine should fire up with 58 psi.

Quick Reply: 96 blazer trouble starting?