Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 2dr 4x4 blazer - transmission noise - winding

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:12 PM
pquada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 2dr 4x4 blazer - transmission noise - winding

Afternoon all-

My truck is making an awful winding noise when i am in any gear following being stuck in a snow drift.

Essentially what took place was i has gotten stuck in a snow drift like an idiot - I tried rocking it back and forth too fast to try and dislodge the vehicle and it started making this terrible noise ever since. I have not changed the transmission fluid in 40-50k miles, it has been checked and i also put in a quart of Lucas transmission repair stuff. (it was shifting hard, the Lucas fixed that)

If anyone could help i would be more than appreciative.

~ I have another noise that makes me concerned as well, when i turn the steering wheel on occasion i hear a popping noise and i can also feel it under my feet. Might it be a bad bushing in a control arm or something? The ball joints are brand new.

~ I also hear a 'tinging' noise when reversing. I think that might be a u-joint issue, does that sound right?

Thanks guys

Old 01-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 2dr 4x4 blazer - transmission noise - winding

Does the "winding" noise increase with engine RPM or ground speed?

As far as your "popping" noise, does it happen at any one position in the steering or whenever you change directions? It could be a joint in the steering.

About the "tinging" noise, is it only when you are moving or does it do it regardless of ground speed? If you hold the brake and rev the engine while in reverse, do you hear it?

Need a lot more information about these issues than a description of the noise. The circumstances of how/when these noises become evident are a must for proper diagnosis.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM

The 'winding' noise coincides with the speed of the tires. it can be best heard when letting off he gas without applying break while slowing down for a stop light. It kinda sounds like a deeply cupped set of all terrain tires (with a gear wind noise behind it) also maybe like a gearbox with no lube.. (ps, its full). The noise can be heard in any gear, including 4x4 hi and low as well as reverse.

the popping noise is mostly heard when turning the wheel and reversing. i can feel it underneath my feet on the drivers side. it sounds nasty. almost like a hammer on the floor pan muffled by the dynomat and carpet.

The 'tinging' noise is mostly heard while reversing. if i reverse at a constant speed and hit the accelerator, it can be reproduced.

I also get a clunk when putting the transmission in drive from park or into reverse. Even if i push on the break with heavy pressure. like its slipping a little.

* ive hit a deer, bent the frame 4 wheeling, and rear ended someone. (all repaired by a shop). Ive got more money into this pos than its worth lol.

thanks again guys

Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you have not damaged something in the rear axle with the "winding" noise.

The popping noise could be a torsion bar mount or something in the steering as I have already suggested. You could have it inspected. Most places will do a free estimate which may point you in some kind of direction.

A clunk when you put the truck into gear from park or neutral could just be drive train slop. This could further reinforce the rear differential damage... I would pop the rear diff cover for maybe nothing else to have a look inside and service the rear axle (replace the gear lube).

Old 01-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Hmm, now that i am listening more carefully, it seems that the 'winding' noise may be coming from the rear axle like you had mentioned. it is really hard to tell though as i am usually the only one in the vehical. Maybe if i have someone else drive so i can listen around the cabin better while the truck is in motion. It seems to be louder when its cold out.

I can reproduce it usually by depressing the brakes while putting it in revers. then i feel the pop. It is right around the torsion bar area so maybe that is it. who would do an inspection for me? I had the torsion bars adjusted to level out the vehicle awhile back to make it so the front didn't look lower than the rear. That gives a little bit of a stiffer ride, but it looks nicer. Ive had a part of the steering replaced before, some little arm, but i don't remember what it was called. It fixed some slop in the steering wheel.

Besides removing the bolts on the rear differential, buying gear lube, and a gasket, is their anything i should watch out for? I dont have a tork wrench. Do i need one?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator

You really do not need to have a torque wrench for the cover bolts, but it helps. If you choke up on a 3/8" ratchet and it should reduce the tendency to over tighten the bolts. If you can, get the gasket for the cover as well which will make for a faster repair.