Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 Blazer hard sarting after warms up

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Beginning Member
millford is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer hard sarting after warms up

My 97 blazer starts every morning and I could run it all day as long as I dont turn it off.After it has been running and the engine is at operating temp & I urn it off and leave it for 15 min or so It has a hard time starting again cranking over 10 times but will eventually start.If I was to shut it off and turn it back on within about 5 min it will start.Any ideas what the problem could be?

Old 01-22-2011, 01:22 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

have you noticed your gas mileage dropping?

Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Beginning Member

Now that you mention it, yes it seems to be using more gas,what do you think the problem is,a leaking injector?and thanks for the reply to this.

Last edited by millford; 01-22-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:22 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

I would research posts and such about a leaking spider injector. yes they connect to the injectors and are quite prone to cracking/breaking and leaking fuel all over the inside.

If you take the upper intake off and it looks really clean (not black) you know gas has probably cleaned off all the carbon.

im no mechanic by any means, but if you research what i said, you'll see your symptoms are similar.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks blaze Ill check that out,my buddie has a heated garage so Ill see if I can get in there this week or next.Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

Mine did that, but I could hold the gas pedal on the floor and it would start. It acted like an engine with a carburetor when it was flooded

My problem was the spider injector.

I might add, after it set for several hours it would start up perfectly.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Grab a fuel pressure gauge and work through 96+ Fuel System to see if/where the fuel system problem exists.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member

I ran the blazer for close to 30 min.My friend has a fuel gauge so I went to his place hoping it wouldnt start after I turned it off.We let the blazer rest for about 15 min,went outside and it wouldnt start.Put the gauge on it was at zero.Cranked it over a few times still zero.We then raised the back end and put 12v to the pump and the gauge when up instantly to 65 lbs.It started fine after that for a couple of hrs.then it happened again.Not sure what to do next,any suggestions out there.I will try riddles and see what happens.

Last edited by millford; 01-25-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

It would seem that your fuel pump is not getting 12 volts, and by running a wire to it your getting 12 volts to the fuel pump, so I would say you've got a bad wire & or circuit breaker & or blown fuse.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Beginning Member

Ill check out the wire,I dont think it could be a fuse or breaker as this happens intermintingly,if it was either the fuse or breaker I assume the pump would not run at all?At the same time it wouldnt be hard to check the fuse just in case.

Last edited by millford; 01-26-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply: 97 Blazer hard sarting after warms up