Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 Blazer hard sarting after warms up

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

They tell me the pigtail on the fuel pump goes bad quite often.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member
millford is on a distinguished road

I just talked to a mechanic explained the whole scenario as stated in this thread he said it sounds like a faulty distributor,apparently the distributor has a switch or some type of mechanism cant remember what he called it in it that tells the pump to fire up when the engine cranks.He figures that would explain the starting up after several cranks when you are cranking the engine the switch or what ever he called it is being reset after each crank by the computer and eventually sets properlly and sends the signal to the pump.What do you think?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The distributor doesn't have anything inside or on it that controls the fuel pump. There is an oil pressure switch that is located near the distributor.

I wonder if you just don't have a weak relay for the pump that is heating up and causing the condition.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Blazer hard sarting after warms up-97_eng_sch3of4.gif   97 Blazer hard sarting after warms up-97_eng_sch4of4.gif   97 Blazer hard sarting after warms up-97_eng_sch_2of4.gif   97 Blazer hard sarting after warms up-97_eng_sch_1of4.gif  
Old 01-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Beginning Member

Anyway to check the relay for a DIYer?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are many ways to test a relay. The easiest is to simply swap it with another one like it in the relay block behind the glove box in your truck. The horn relay should be right there near the fuel pump relay. Swap the two and if the horn worked before and after the swap, the relay is likely still functioning properly. However, the horn will not load the relay like the pump will.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Beginning Member

Swartlkk Thank You and all who tried to help,I replaced the relay even though it sounded(clicking noise) like it was working, I guess it wasnt I put in a new relay & it seems to have fixed my starting problem at least for now. Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member

Thought I would resurface this as I found the problem and thought it was the fuel pump relay well the relay helped but the problem resurfaced a month later so I was pulling the relay in and out and it would fix the no starting until 1 day it finally gave up, because of this I decided to check the female contacts in the plug that houses the relay.Thats were the problem was a contact looked to be worn,bent or burned a bit and did not seat the relay properly.I fixed that and have had no issues since.Hopes this helps someone.Cheers