Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97, blazer no reverse, two gears. trans questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Beginning Member
moldeck is on a distinguished road
Default 97, blazer no reverse, two gears. trans questions

I am new to the blazer forum. Love forums...... I am gone for the weekend but WILL be back for all your help.
Blazer will not go into reverse, has a whine when started and gets louder in Rev. will not shift into OD. It is currently in my garage with the transfer case off, so I do not have any way to get codes. I am wondering about the cooler lines, there is a plastic washer on the outside of the nut. What is that doing and how do I remove the lines?? I have not tried to just wrench it off yet. Is there anything special I need to know past the cooler lines? Man thoes two bolts at the top were a pain to get out with the trans. case on...

One more question, I have been getting a whine out of the passenger front wheel. when you turn of the 4hi, the noise goes away. I changed the wheel bearing about 4 months ago and did not fix this noise. am I looking at the front axle something?? By the way it no longer locks the front wheels when in 4 wheel.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Classic sun shell failure. I bet you only have 1st & 3rd gears.

The cooler lines likely have quick connect fittings. You will need to slide back the plastic ring and then remove the retaining clip.

Your noise is likely from a partially engaged front axle engagement collar.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Beginning Member

sun shell failure. Does that mean I do infact need to replace the trans??

the plastic is over the end of a line nut. still think it is a disconect? that will suck to get off. I think the wrench will be easier seeing that it is not accessible for a hand.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Only way to tell is to push back the plastic ring. If it is the quick disconnect style, you'll only have to pry off a small clip to remove it. This cannot be done by hand, but a small screw driver does work good.

And no, you shouldn't need to replace the transmission. Just the sun shell. While you were having that done, you may want to replace the clutches/bands/etc inside... This would basically be a full rebuild.

I have seen quite a few people replace only the sun shell due to $$ constraints and get by for quite a long time.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Beginning Member

Cool, I have found a used trans. for 400, a remanufactured for 600. What am I looking at for a rebuild? The truck has 250,000 miles on it.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Get the re-manufactured one then!

Old 11-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you so much for your help. I owe you... I will continue with the removal and go from there. thanks again,

any more advice would be super...

What am I looking at in the front diff. and where do I start with finding what is wrong there.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Concerning the front axle, this is a typical engagement cable problem. Try lubricating the cable and see if that cures the problem. If not, you may have a broken return spring inside the front diff. There are other threads that cover this problem in more detail.

Old 11-23-2009, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member

I checked the cable and read some other posts. It looks like the cable is moving a good distance. I do have holes in one of my vacume lines from the trans. I would bet that my spring is bad