Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 blazer shifts normally, no forward and reverse works at 2500+rpm

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2021 | 09:06 PM
|
Icelandic4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 blazer shifts normally, no forward and reverse works at 2500+rpm

Hey everyone i have this old 97 chevy blazer in Iceland, i fell for it since it belonged to the U.S. army. So to my problem it has around 124k miles on it, new radiator new vacuum lines, new flywheel and new starter, rebuilt transmission. It shifts normally but doesnt go forward it does go reverse at 2500 rpm. There is no noise no lights no codes nothing, the trans was rebuilt around 1k miles ago. A technician says it's the torque converter could be it isn't bolted and spinning freely?

I hope i can get some help with this, all possible help much appreciated.

Old 12-20-2021 | 06:11 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

So, your description of the symptoms is a bit confusing.

Are what you are saying is that you can select different gears but the vehicle will not move unless the selector is in reverse and the engine is at 2,500 rpm or faster?

Old 12-21-2021 | 09:14 PM
|

Originally Posted by christine_208
So, your description of the symptoms is a bit confusing.

Are what you are saying is that you can select different gears but the vehicle will not move unless the selector is in reverse and the engine is at 2,500 rpm or faster?
Hey, haha yeah sorry about that but yeah that is right, it was tested on a car lift and went through all the gears according to the mechanic, i asked him to test drive it and he told me this. "I put the car in D and it doesnt move there are no sounds and the dash does not show any warning lights, it drives in reverse but only at 2500rpm or higher it just barely moves." He then prompted it was the torque converter and i called my friend and asked him, he said it's highly unlikely since bad torque converters do make sounds if going bad, and the converter is new. New torque converter with shipping and taxes and the toll is around 700$ here not including the 500$ to change it. And thanks for your reply.

Old 12-21-2021 | 10:07 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Yeah, there is something seriously wrong with that transmission.

To me, if the torque converter was bad, than tbe symptoms would be the same irrespective of the gear it was in.

You need to find another mechanic to loom at it.

Old 12-22-2021 | 11:08 AM
|

Yeah, there is something seriously wrong with that transmission.

To me, if the torque converter was bad, than tbe symptoms would be the same irrespective of the gear it was in.

You need to find another mechanic to loom at it.
yeah i am thinking the shifting solanoids or perhaps something within the valve body or pump, i fixed my old 4l60e tranny but the garage i had it in some guy thought it was junk and threw it away, but there no burning smell or anything and the tranny worked completly normal before the mechanic got the blazer to change motor mounts so im wondering if everything is connected correctly. I really like that suv so would hate to lose it since its the last one here from that generation and that engine.

Old 12-22-2021 | 02:06 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Icelandic4x4
yeah i am thinking the shifting solanoids or perhaps something within the valve body or pump, i fixed my old 4l60e tranny but the garage i had it in some guy thought it was junk and threw it away, but there no burning smell or anything and the tranny worked completly normal before the mechanic got the blazer to change motor mounts so im wondering if everything is connected correctly. I really like that suv so would hate to lose it since its the last one here from that generation and that engine.
Is it possible to find a replacement transmission, either from a wrecking yard or rebuilt?

Old 12-22-2021 | 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

There are three layers of codes available. The first are the generic ODBII codes that most scanners can read which are P0XXX numbers, usually 100 - 500 series. A better scanner can read additional generic codes like ABS. The third level are GM proprietary codes which are P1XXX numbers. A read from a higher end scanner may help you determine your issue. Since work was done check your wiring and connectors.

George

Old 12-22-2021 | 09:29 PM
|

Is it possible to find a replacement transmission, either from a wrecking yard or rebuilt?
No i wish it was but american cars are quite rare these years, i did manage to save this blazer and a 93 olds cutlass supreme from being destroyed, i can always rebuild this transmission it isn't all that hard. I would enjoy having junkyards like in the u.s. we have only for toyota and subaru and suzuki 😅.

Old 12-22-2021 | 09:30 PM
|

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
There are three layers of codes available. The first are the generic ODBII codes that most scanners can read which are P0XXX numbers, usually 100 - 500 series. A better scanner can read additional generic codes like ABS. The third level are GM proprietary codes which are P1XXX numbers. A read from a higher end scanner may help you determine your issue. Since work was done check your wiring and connectors.

George
Thanks yeah the wiring is all messed up since it was registered as an army vehicle in iceland back in 97-04, it would take ages and knowledge no mechanic has these days here in iceland.

Old 12-23-2021 | 12:00 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Here is your transmission wiring diagram if this helps.

George

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
97 trans wiring.pdf (493.9 KB, 31 views)

Quick Reply: 97 blazer shifts normally, no forward and reverse works at 2500+rpm