Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 blazer turns over but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:06 PM
nolan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 blazer turns over but wont start

hello all, my 97 blazer turns over but wont start. changed fuel filter, getting spark, replaced dist cap/rotor.it seems that the fuel pump is not as loud and has a lower noise pitch that it did prior to it not starting. i had problems with the pump not coming on occasionally last summer but it would always start after a couple tries. it started fine all winter. i'm getting about 8psi fuel pressure - key in on position. my manual says i should be getting 9-13 psi. i have seen other posts that mention 50 and 60 psi. what psi should i be getting at the shrader valve under the hood? any other ideas?

Thanks

Old 08-18-2008, 06:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 blazer turns over but wont start

You need over 50 psi for it to start. 9-13 psi is for TBI motors only.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the info.
so, i can hear the pumpcome on but it is not as loud as it was beforethe blazer quit running,the pressure is low 8PSI,i already replaced the fuel filter,i switched the relays around in the glove box,Is there anything else i can check? can it be anything else but the fuel pump?

Thanks,
Nolan

Old 08-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Beginning Member
bjsx8f is an unknown quantity at this point

Its the pump

Old 08-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Starting Member
97ssblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

sound like the pump.... its VERY common in our trucks... and can be expensive too

Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Beginning Member
bjsx8f is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah its not too expensive if you do it yourself... I did mine both times under $300 bucks easliy. Just make sure you dont have much gas in the tank. The hardest part I thought was disconnecting/reconnecting the filler and overfill hose on the driver side of the tank. Other than that its a few bolts to remove the shield and a 4 to remove the tank.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the info

I remember reading that some pumps are poor quality and that you can just replace the pump or the entire assembly. does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand to buy andwhat all i should replace while i have the tank removed?

Old 08-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

AC Delco and AC Delco only. As far as what else to replace, I would go with the whole assembly. The newer pumps can use an aftermarket walbro pump, but you have to be very careful when you take apart the plastic pump assembly and then you have to be pretty precise when you cut the rubber line for the feed between the pump and the outlet from the assembly.

The full pump assembly will also come with a new fuel level sending unit which I would recommend replacing if you were only doing the pump portion.