Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 blazwer 4.3 engine miss wannafix it with dinomite soon please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Just to clarify: Cut the two black wires a few inches from the fuel pump module connector. Solder them together, along with the new ground wire, using 60/40 lead/tin rosin core solder ONLY. Then insulate, (tape) the loose ends of the vehicle harness. The object is to provide the fuel pump, and the fuel level sender, with a new ground, not the vehicle harness.

Which style connector do you have?
Name:  HarnessConnectors.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  13.8 KB

Old 10-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Starting Member
toyhauler1283 is on a distinguished road

I have the "new connector " style but I did notice last night that there seams to be some gooie crap on it. Idk if the P.O. pit any kind of dielctric grease on in but I have a new plug I could put on it and try it

Old 10-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Starting Member

Everything is the same as on the "new" style but instead of and orange / black stipe its a black / white striped wire

Old 10-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

It might be silicone dielectric grease. The new style connector has different color wires, make sure you use the two grounds. I think it's the orange and the black wires, but check the vehicle harness.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Starting Member

I no that grey is 12v I'm pretty sure purple is for the gauge and the two end wires (one at each end) are my grounds one is solid black and pretty thick the other is black with a white stripe. Do u think replacing the plug might help many the connections in the plug are sloppy? Also while I was doing all this I noticed I had about 62 psi at the test port cuz I still had my gauge hooked up. Is that about the right range of psi I should have?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:53 PM

The reason they went to the new style connector, was to reduce heat at the terminals. The original wires are 16 gauge, (borderline too small). The new wires are 14 gauge and the terminals are larger which decreases resistance, (heat).

You have a problem with high resistance so it might not be a bad idea to replace the connector, just to be sure.

Regulated fuel pressure at 62psi is fine. Once the electrical problem is taken care of, regulated pressure will not change, but the pump will not be working as hard, and that's the important thing.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Starting Member

So after I put a new plug on and check voltage drop on + side how much voltage drop would be correct I'm guessing as little as possible also wondering if maybe the wire I used from the battery as a jumper might have given false reading cuz it was a thin wire. Just a thought

Old 10-11-2013, 03:27 PM

The heavier gauge the wire is, the lower the voltage drop will be. When voltage drop is zero, you have the correct gauge wire, no need to go larger

Old 10-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Starting Member

OK the jumper from the battery I used is probably 16-18 gauge and approximately 15 foot long would that give me false readings and should I do it over again with something like 10 or 12 gauge wire

Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 PM

If you're talking about a jumper for the test probe, that should be fine, it doesn't carry anywhere near what the pump draws.

Quick Reply: 97 blazwer 4.3 engine miss wannafix it with dinomite soon please help