97 Rocker Valve Adjustment - Page 2 - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Old 05-17-2017, 11:58 AM
Beginning Member

Tynan Tha Real Dill is on a distinguished road

OK congrats on the wedding so I bought compression tester gauge and fuel pressure from Harbor Freight ( see first pic ), these look about right ?

OK so now I'm trying to buy the light noid set and AutoZone wants $25 for there's ( see second pic ). Does this noid set look about right ? Can't really afford the $40 set at Harbor Freight...
Attached Thumbnails
97 Rocker Valve Adjustment-img_20170516_162714.jpg   97 Rocker Valve Adjustment-screenshot_20170517-114211.png  

Last edited by Tynan Tha Real Dill; 05-17-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:36 AM
Beginning Member

OK I've gotten the light noid, fuel injection test gauge, and engine compression test gauge.

1. Tested the fuel pressure, turned on the key and the gauge immediately jumped to 60 psi, then dropped to 0 after 2 seconds.

2. Tested the injectors with the light noid, tested every injector, and they all lit up as the engine was cranked.

Lacking a spark plug socket at the moment so I can't do the compression test just yet.

So far so good ?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:32 PM

Lesmyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynan Tha Real Dill View Post
OK I've gotten the light noid, fuel injection test gauge, and engine compression test gauge.

1. Tested the fuel pressure, turned on the key and the gauge immediately jumped to 60 psi, then dropped to 0 after 2 seconds.

2. Tested the injectors with the light noid, tested every injector, and they all lit up as the engine was cranked.

Lacking a spark plug socket at the moment so I can't do the compression test just yet.

So far so good ?
Need to figure out where the fuel pressure is going after fuel pump shuts off. Should maintain 50psi+ pressure for some minutes. If it is going to zero immediately after fuel pump shuts off, then this is probably the cause of your no-start. Please advise fuel pressure during cranking for 5 seconds and we will know for certain if it is a problem or not.

Having the noid light blinking tells us the Crank sensor is "sensing", and the PCM is electronically trying to drive the fuel injectors injectors. Also means that Security is not preventing it from starting (security shuts off fuel injectors through the PCM).

Last edited by Lesmyer; 05-18-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesmyer View Post
Need to figure out where the fuel pressure is going after fuel pump shuts off. Should maintain 50psi+ pressure for some minutes. If it is going to zero immediately after fuel pump shuts off, then this is probably the cause of your no-start. Please advise fuel pressure during cranking for 5 seconds and we will know for certain if it is a problem or not.

Having the noid light blinking tells us the Crank sensor is "sensing", and the PCM is electronically trying to drive the fuel injectors injectors. Also means that Security is not preventing it from starting (security shuts off fuel injectors through the PCM).
OK compression test is complete, I'm uploading the results I wrote down (see pic).
Cylinder #1 - 150 psi
Cylinder #2 - 0 psi
Cylinder #3 - 120 psi
Cylinder #4 - 125 psi
Cylinder #5 - 0 psi
Cylinder #6 - 130 psi
I'm guessing cylinder's #2 and #5 are clearly dead, but I dont know what I'm looking for in these results. So with these results, what seems to be my problem ?

​​​​​​​P.s. - my fuel pressure gauge sprays fuel from the hose connected to the gauge. So before I try the fuel pressure test again, im going to fix that, dont want fuel in my eye again lol
Attached Thumbnails
97 Rocker Valve Adjustment-img_20170526_190127.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

My harbor freight fuel gauge leaked. I just wrapped teflon tape around the threads.
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts View Post
My harbor freight fuel gauge leaked. I just wrapped teflon tape around the threads.
ok cool I bought mine at Harbor Freight too, I guess I need the teflon tape too !

Last edited by Tynan Tha Real Dill; Yesterday at 09:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

Lesmyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynan Tha Real Dill View Post
OK compression test is complete, I'm uploading the results I wrote down (see pic).
Cylinder #1 - 150 psi
Cylinder #2 - 0 psi
Cylinder #3 - 120 psi
Cylinder #4 - 125 psi
Cylinder #5 - 0 psi
Cylinder #6 - 130 psi
I'm guessing cylinder's #2 and #5 are clearly dead, but I dont know what I'm looking for in these results. So with these results, what seems to be my problem ?

​​​​​​​P.s. - my fuel pressure gauge sprays fuel from the hose connected to the gauge. So before I try the fuel pressure test again, im going to fix that, dont want fuel in my eye again lol
There may be more causing a no start, but definitely need to figure out cylinders 2 & 5 before going on. Let's pop the valve covers and turn the rocker nuts out a couple of turns on both valves for both #2 and #5 cyl, and repeat compression test. If you get compression with the nuts backed off, then you know something happened when overtightening the rocker nuts to 40 ft lbs and we can deal with that. If you still don't get compression we can deal with that too. Also look at the valve action on those cylinders when cranking and note any differences. As an aside, what about the test for spark out of the coil?