Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

97 Running a bit rough

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Bjenkins81 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Running a bit rough

The truck was staling out a few days ago. I had a new Cat put on it, and it hasn't stalled since, but it still doesnt seem to be running quiet right., seems sluggish. Is there any immediate things I should be looking at? The only codes I am getting are an EVAP code cause my case cap refuses to seal (even after being replaced), and a transmission code cause my Solenoid is going bad. I have already cleaned my MAF, EGR, and Throttle body since having the Cat installed, and I am out of ideas.

Secondly, regarding the Trans. Solenoid, is this a hard thing to do? I have a fair amount of experience working on cars, but I am far from a whiz mechanic. And is this something that needs ro be dealt with asap? The truck seems to shift fine 90% of the time, but does sometimes jerk when shifting. Thanks for any info you all might have. I will continue my search through other posts for a solution, just didn't want to start replacing things that weren't necessary.~Brian

Note: My "Service engine soon" light only seems to come on when I am at 3/4 or less for fuel. (not sure if that means anything)

Last edited by Bjenkins81; 10-14-2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: additon
Old 10-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Starting Member
blazerpower is on a distinguished road

have you done a tune up yet? what about replace the fuel filter? have you tried running any fuel injector cleaner through the system? do you know the exact codes to your evap and transmission problems?

Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 AM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

97 doesn't have a pre cat yet does it? they can become clogged as well.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 AM

I did a tune up, changed fuel filter, and have fuel injector cleaner in my tank at the moment.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
97 doesn't have a pre cat yet does it? they can become clogged as well.
No pre-cat in a '97.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 PM

I've not yet figured out what is going on with the truck yet. It's been a week since the new Cat, and it still has NOT stalled. It IS still running a bit sluggish. I'm not sure what it is suppose to idol at, but it sits at 500 when I am in drive, and it just seems like that is too low, and it has to "wake itself" up when I hit the gas. I have 3 upgrades on the horizon.
1. CAI from Spectre
2. Cherry Bomb Turbo
3. New Fuel injection (still no clue what to get here)

Any advise on what I might want to do first? Or is it not really going to matter. I will be doing them 1/month, and I am hoping my problem will be solved by replacing one of said systems. Even if it doesn't fix the problem I don't feel I will be out of money since I wanted to do these upgrades anyways. Does my plan sound logical?