Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 4.3vortec fresh parts build, got a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Beginning Member
aksallday is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 4.3vortec fresh parts build, got a few questions.

So our 98 4.3 vortec dropped oil pressure and started knocking on the highway doing 60 while she was driving to her grandma's.
I got it yanked and disassembled, it had spun 2 rod bearings and wore out the 2 sets of inner main bearings.

Took it to the machinist fee weks ago. he surfaced and worked the rods and caps, shot peened them, pistons were reinstalled.
Cylinder one crank journal was trashed, 6 was worn but recondition able.
Mains were fine and a new CSS Stroker crank was ordered, along with a Profiled cam from CSS

Ive got everything sitting here now and i am ready to re assemble, I've ran into a issue of how should I aling the cam and balancer, along with the crank shaft?

Old 08-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Beginning Member
WildDomesticTabby is on a distinguished road

Dot on the balance shaft gear points down at 6'o clock. Dot on the camshaft gear points up at 12'o clock. Make sure that the dots on each gear are now facing each other.

Afterwards, you install the camshaft sprocket and the crank sprocket. Dot on the camshaft sprocket points down at 6'o clock. Dot on the crankshaft sprocket points up at 12'o clock. Make sure the dots on each sprocket are now facing each other. Now, without disturbing the timing, remove the camshaft sprocket and carefully install the timing chain along with the camshaft sprocket. Your motor is now properly timed.

Last edited by WildDomesticTabby; 08-16-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:45 AM
Starting Member
Red Sled is on a distinguished road

Delete post

Last edited by Red Sled; 08-16-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:06 PM
Beginning Member

Awesome!!!!! Thanks a lot wilddomestictabby, I searched the Chilton's, Haynes and my gm tech manual like crazy and couldn't find it, must have over looked it. Even searched Google and s10forum but couldn't couldn't find a definite answer. Love this forum, this group of people is as good as the Z32 community.,

Old 08-16-2015, 01:57 PM
Beginning Member

My other question is. In what orientation should the pin and or the two timing marks of my harmonic balancer be in, in relation to the key way shaft groove on the crank shaft balancer pulley?

I've rebuilt a 4.3 before, but the rotating assembly was use able so I had all my marks.
This time around I have no clue, because of the new crank and cam. Thats the reason for the questions lol. Plus I've been deep in the world of Z32's for a couple years so forgot a lot of vortex stuff.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:16 PM
Beginning Member
WildDomesticTabby is on a distinguished road

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know which direction timing marks on the harmonic balancer should face before pressing it in? If so, then it doesn't matter. The keyway groove on it only lets it go in one way.

If you'd like to set your ignition timing after installing everything, then you'd want to post the vintage of your truck. The late model ones don't have adjustable timing, other than a slight Crank Offset adjustment with a computer hooked up to monitor change.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Beginning Member

Im talking about the ring weight that goes on the crank pulley, that has the rubber gasket in between it and the pulley. Not the belt pulley, the crank pulley.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:41 AM
Starting Member
2004 Blazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by aksallday
Im talking about the ring weight that goes on the crank pulley, that has the rubber gasket in between it and the pulley. Not the belt pulley, the crank pulley.
It sounds like your balancer is in two pieces and needs replacement.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Beginning Member

Yes! Except when I go to order a new one all I can find is just the crank pulley. Not both pieces already together.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:37 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aksallday
So our 98 4.3 vortec dropped oil pressure and started knocking on the highway doing 60 while she was driving to her grandma's.
I got it yanked and disassembled, it had spun 2 rod bearings and wore out the 2 sets of inner main bearings.

Took it to the machinist fee weks ago. he surfaced and worked the rods and caps, shot peened them, pistons were reinstalled.
Cylinder one crank journal was trashed, 6 was worn but recondition able.
Mains were fine and a new CSS Stroker crank was ordered, along with a Profiled cam from CSS

Ive got everything sitting here now and i am ready to re assemble, I've ran into a issue of how should I aling the cam and balancer, along with the crank shaft?
So how does a stroker crank work with stock rods and stock pistons? Think about it. Longer stroke would push the pistons into the heads. Did the machinist check the line bore carefully - usually it is required when you rattle any main bearings. Better just buy a stock crank kit with bearings for the correct year engine - will a new aftermarket crank be balanced for your particular rods/pistons/balancer/flex plate? Why would a machinist install pistons and rods for you without the crankshaft? Forget performance cam - it won't be worth it. Harmonic balancers don't come in two pieces, that is why you can only find one peice. I'm sorry but it sounds like you should have the machinist order parts and put the engine together for you. Seriously! I predict you are heading towards a lot if incompatibility and inexperience problems - it's right on the verge of sounding like BS. I know that's not what you want to hear - but someone has to say it.

Last edited by LesMyer; 08-21-2015 at 08:40 AM.