Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 4 door blazer, 4.3L, intermittently hard to start and almost dies

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:00 AM
havrelm1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 4 door blazer, 4.3L, intermittently hard to start and almost dies

This has been happening in the early mornings lately when going to work(6:30 am) here in AZ since it's been getting colder at night. Sometime I will crank and crank and no start, thenI will back the key out, switch it on, then start again and it fires right up like there was never a problem. Other times It will start like normal but run poor for a few seconds like it's gonna stall out.

I always let the pump build up pressure first before I try to start it.

Recent repairs (if it matters):
Brand new Delco platinum plugs/wires/cap/rotor/belt/tensioner/ (oil change yesterday).

Any suggestions? I was reading other posts, possibly a fuel pump and filter need replacement? fuel pressure regulator? Coolant temp sensor (giving a bad reading like it's a lot colder than it is?)I am at 135,000 miles, and other than this, still running STRONG! Obviously I want to start with the cheaper parts first and work from there. This is my only running vehicle right now (need $300 for the sport bike to get going) and I want to prevent this from getting worse. Thanks! -Mike.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: 98 4 door blazer, 4.3L, intermittently hard to start and almost dies

Check your fuel pressure... Should be able to borrow/rent a guage from Autozone if you've got one...

Should read 60PSI or so when you turn the key to on, and not start dropping right away...

Once it's started and running, it shouldn't drop below 55PSI, if I remember right...

A new fuel filter can't hurt...

Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Default RE: 98 4 door blazer, 4.3L, intermittently hard to start and almost dies

Alright, sounds like a good easy start, I will see if I can get that done tonight and report back with readings.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:24 AM

Autozone didn't rent a gauge so I bought one for $40. I put it on there as tight as I could by hand and got NO reading. I guess I'll have to see if I can get some pliers in there to tighten it even more (was getting dark outside), little tight in that area, bunch of line running around. I just recently moved into this new house and I haven't put my shop lights up yet. I was connecting the gauge to the valve on the metal fuel line near the distributor cap.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hand tight should be good enough. Do not cross thread it though... It should tighten down securely by hand.

If you are getting 0psi with the key on, then something is definitely wrong. The fact that you mess around with the key and the problems go away leads me to believe that you have a problem with the ignition switch in the column. Have you ever noticed the 'security' light coming on when it is being difficult to start? Or at odd times while driving it?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:39 AM

I definately didn't cross thread it, it went on relatively easy, then I tightened it by hand, didn't get a reading though, I wonder why. The vehicle starts, just when it's cold it stumbles of requires a decent krank. Maybe my battery is going out on it.

I have never noticed a security light. I get this blinker noise all the time that goes away when pressing the brake, so i need a new turn signal switch assembly for that part of it.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Not knowing what you got for a gauge, does the gauge have a shutoff on it somewhere that would prohibit the pressure from reaching the gauge? Are you able to get fuel out by pressing the shrader valve on the fuel rail?

With the clicking, this is mostlikely caused by a failing 4way switch in the multifunction switch. This can be replaced separately with very little work or $$.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:08 PM

I will have to check the gauge for any kind of shut off, but after I took the gauge off I smelled the end and it didn't smell like fuel at all which leads me to beleive it should go on some more, but with the location it was hard to get some leverage on it to tighten it more and with just a couple fingers. I will check the valve to see if I can get some fuel out of it.

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get just that portion of the turn signal switch would you? I checked e-bay and google and couldn't really find anything, but I also don't know what the part looks like that I am looking for.

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it!

Old 11-20-2007, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Replace hazard switch <--- CLICK

That should get you everything you need to know for that repair. I would start with the hazard switch first, then move to the whole assembly if that doesn't work.

Flasher Clicking under passenger side dash, stops when you press brake pedal???
<--- is another one discussing this issue.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:17 PM

Yea, that thread is how I found out that I needed a switch. It's SO annoying, I have to crank the radio to drown it out.

Quick Reply: 98 4 door blazer, 4.3L, intermittently hard to start and almost dies