Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 to 97

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Beginning Member
truck317 is on a distinguished road
Default 98 to 97

i have a 97 s10 blazer found a great deal on a tranny but its out of a 98 s10 blazer just wondering if it will fit and work right

Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Should basically be the same. About the only difference may be that the 98 trans will be a two piece transmission case w/ a separate bell housing while your '97 may be a one piece transmission case with an integrated bell housing.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Beginning Member

how can i tell if my tanny is a 2 piece transmission case or a 1 piece

Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Look at it. The two piece case will have a fully round bell housing while the one piece case will have a dust shield on the lower half. The dust shield could be either steel or aluminum so you have to look close.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member
Default hey

so i talked to a couple junk yards and they looked some stuff up for me and they said that the 98 tans will only fit in a 98 and 99 the 97 trans will fit into a 96. but how does a 01 trans fit into a 97 i saw that on a thread on here

Old 09-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Administrator

They fit, you may have to get some other parts to make it work. Like the transfer case adapter from the '98+ since I seem to recall the change from 1-piece to 2-piece also included the change from a 4-bolt pattern at the back of the trans to a 6-bolt pattern.