Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 Blazer odd transmission behavior, loss of power, trans. fluid smell

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Mr Mackey is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 98 Blazer odd transmission behavior, loss of power, trans. fluid smell

I've been driving my Blazer around for a few days now and I have been noticing a number of issues related to acceleration. When jumping onto the highway, it takes A LOT of power to get me up to 55. In some cases, I even have to put the pedal to the floor just to keep up with traffic. The engine revs just fine, and gets well up into the 3k-4k range when accelerating.

I also went up a few hills on the highway and I began to lose speed and the RPMs seemed to drop with the speed, even though the pedal was to the floor. When I got to my destination and stepped out of the vehicle, there was a strong smell of transmission fluid coming from under the vehicle. I popped the hood and checked the fluid level, and everything checked out.

I hooked up my OBDII scanner and received no codes. I've been all over the web and there is a variety of things that could be wrong, but none the results have pinned my exact issue down. From a bad TPS to a faulty torque converter, nothing seems to match, but then again, I could be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

sounds like it could be torque converter going out to me. when you checked the fluid did you smell it? did it smelled burnt? is it dark? black? or does it look pretty good?

Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Mr Mackey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Twip
sounds like it could be torque converter going out to me. when you checked the fluid did you smell it? did it smelled burnt? is it dark? black? or does it look pretty good?
It was getting dark and smelled a little burnt.