Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 Jimmy slow crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:51 AM
Starting Member
JK98Jmmy is on a distinguished road
Angry 98 Jimmy slow crank no start

On my way to work a couple of days ago, Started to hear a "clinging sound" about 2 miles away. Hit gas to go up hill and a real loud pop then nothing, Slowly idled back down and then died. Pulled off of road and it wouldn't do anything. Couldn't hear for fuel pump so I changed the relay with an extra I had.It kicked on but still nothing.Got it home and did a fuel pressure test and it read 64lbs and dropped to 52lbs within 2 minutes. Changed spider injection and all intake related gaskets. I have checked the spark plugs, dist. cap and rotor, ignition coil and module, camshaft sensor, tps sensor, iac sensor, and nothing. Also put back in time when replaced camshaft sensor.
Should the next thing be the crank sensor or timing chain? Just noticed a small leak from from the cover.
Only 22 with 2 kids cant afford to take it to the shop or spend much more money and time on it. It is our only car and I have missed 2 days of work so far.
Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by JK98Jmmy; 07-16-2018 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:16 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JK98Jmmy
On my way to work a couple of days ago, Started to hear a "clinging sound" about 2 miles away. Hit gas to go up hill and a real loud pop then nothing, Slowly idled back down and then died. Pulled off of road and it wouldn't do anything. Couldn't hear for fuel pump so I changed the relay with an extra I had.It kicked on but still nothing.Got it home and did a fuel pressure test and it read 64lbs and dropped to 52lbs within 2 minutes. Changed spider injection and all intake related gaskets. I have checked the spark plugs, dist. cap and rotor, ignition coil and module, camshaft sensor, tps sensor, iac sensor, and nothing. Also put back in time when replaced camshaft sensor.
Should the next thing be the crank sensor or timing chain? Just noticed a small leak from from the cover.
Only 22 with 2 kids cant afford to take it to the shop or spend much more money and time on it. It is our only car and I have missed 2 days of work so far.
Thank you all in advance.
Please check compression (at least stick your finger over a spark plug hole and let compression blow it off). It should blow your finger off the hole with considerable force. That will tell you if timing chain having slipped is the problem (which is doubtful).

VERY doubtful that crank sensor is the problem so please leave it alone (you will probably need to have a crank sensor relearn done if you mess with it). Take the wire from the coil to the distributor cap off the cap, clip a spark plug into the end of the wire (or find a wire where you can do this), and ground the spark plug to metal on the engine (vicegrips work). Have someone crank engine while you watch for spark. If spark, then your crank sensor, PCM (for ignition), ignition module, and coil are all working and not the problem. Come back with your results and we can discuss.

One thing.... what do you mean by put back in time? Did you pull out the distributor and put it back with the rotor in a different position?

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-17-2018 at 10:25 AM.