Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

98 trans slip

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:56 PM
wayfastwhitey is on a distinguished road
Default 98 trans slip

i got a 98 4x4 with 171,000 miles and the tranny feels like it's starting to slip. i changed the fluid and filter to try and doctor it but didn't seem to help much. the fluid didn't smell or look burned and not metal shavings were in the pan. i talked to my tranny guy who builds powerglides for my bracket car and he said it could possibly be a solenoid gone bad. i was wondering if anyone knew of something typical to go bad in the 4l60e that wouldn't require it to be rebuilt. and if worse comes to worst and i do pull the thing out to have it rebuilt how much of a headache is it to get it out with the transfercase in there. or should i just pay someone to do it for me? and if anyone is trying to get rid of a spare tranny for it? any help would be great. thanks

Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any codes stored for the transmission?

It is possible that it is a solenoid or something hanging up, but that would depend on when it is slipping. Is it just one gear? Only when it shifts? We need some more information to go on.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:38 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

If it has to come out, I would recommend the tranny shop do the R&R. You will save yourself from having to do it again if there is a problem with it later.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:13 PM
wayfastwhitey is on a distinguished road

I was going to have my trans guy run the codes on it sometime soon. That should be a good starting point right? Srry about that I guess I left that out. First and second seem to be fine just a little hard but when it's in over drive and i start going up a hill and i press down on the gas and it kicks down a gear it feels like it's slipping because i can press the accelerator to the floor and it barely speeds up. I was also thinking that it could possibly be a throttle position sensor causing the problem. Does that sound right at all? Let me know if this gives you a better idea.
Thanks,
Matt