Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

99 4x4 V6 Automatic Nd Be Shifted Manually

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Starting Member
silverbonn is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 99 4x4 V6 Automatic Nd Be Shifted Manually

Hi, all. Female noob here. (Am of the gen where girls took Home Ec & boys Auto-Shop. FYI: Know'g how to bake bread is of no help when stranded on the side of the road. (LOL? NOT!!!)
First, I ADORE my Blazer & on my 2nd, both via Craig's List w/ same specs, only diffs being trim, yr & mileage. My 1st, a '97 LS (a truly great ride), was totalled after a month (sniff), rcvd acceptable reimbursement from other driver's insurance co & found/bought another. This time w/ Basic trim, 2 yrs younger (a '99) & less than 100K miles til I drove the 4 hrs home..
Advertised as being seller's "Grandfather's Baby," the interior was perfect & my "Mr. Fix-It" friend, a former used car salesman, gave the engine a once over & checked under car for the obvious: rust, leakage signs, etc. Took it for a test drive & loved its "zip"... a smooth & comfy ride for me & my 2 dogs.
2 months later was driv'g home from a med app't, an 1+1/2 hrs ea way (I live in "Bum (ahem) Egypt," NM, btw) when my tachometer suddenly hit the "Red Zone" when I was going the speed limit -- 70 mph.
Tho' I knew little abt cars, when a part died on my other vehicles I'd watch the mechanic & learned all I could abt the part. Coz all my prior vehicles were OLD -- approx 30 yrs old, a 71 Toyota & a 70-somethg Datsun, I've learned quite a bit! (LOL? NOT!)
So when my tach hit Red I knew enuff to pull over til I calmed down, then gingerly drove the remaining 1/2 hr hm @ 35 mph in 3rd gear w/ hazards on, much to the wrath of those trapped behind me. (I'd pull over if allowed @ a lineup of 3.)
FINALLY made it hm, 3 hrs later, parked, went into my house & took a bubble bath, trying to de-stress. (Didn't work, despite candles, wine & Enya.)
Following day I started "White Blaze," only to learn it no longer shifted automatically, but only manually (1st to 2nd, 3rd, Drive & Reverse) i.e., by hand.
"Economically challenged" (am on SSI), I took it to a mechanic friend @ "Cannon Tire Factory & Auto Repairs," voted #1 in the County for all car svcs (& honest, to boot) who gently told me my transmission was shot, a new one would cost tween $1500-$1800 plus labor BUT didn't think it worth fixing coz "the motor underneath is oil-splattered."
Were I to decide to fix the tranny I'd buy it online from Rock Auto (abt $1K less than stated) & as for the "motor" I'd use the same purchase source but wait for those issues to show.
Can't afford another mechanic for a 2nd opinion so am turning to y'all:
1-) Judging by the symptoms stated above (an auto tranny one nd shift manually), is there *anything* else it might be other than a new tranny? (My "Grease-monkey" friends have spkn of "this switch & that 'thingie'" as possibilities but is all "Greek" to me.)
2-) Do Blazers have a hist'y of tranny probs? I.e., if I COULD afford a new tranny is it likely I'd need replace it again?
3-) I paid $2100 for Blaze, as my title above states, a "Basic trim, 99, 4x4, V6 engine, 4 door." Should the consensus be that I nd a new tranny *&* can find one online for $500-$800, in ur opinion/s, should I replace the tranny or sell it now as a "Mechanic's Special" (for maybe $1K) & buy another new to me (i.e. used) mid-size 4x4 before whatever's wrg stop it from running entirely? (Lotsa snow here in winter so def need a 4x4 *&* a V6.)

Thanks in advance for whatever advice you can give.
Signed,
"Bummed-out in Cowboy Land"

Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Could be something as simple as a shift solenoid. Only a good tranny shop could tell you. If the fluid is not burnt, then it might be worth trying to repair. Uses a 4L60e trans - just like most rear wheel drive GM vehicles did for many years. One of the most widely used transmissions ever.

I had mine replaced because of a stripped sun gear last winter. Cost me $2500 total at Precision Transmission. 3 year 100K warranty. Shift solenoid malfunctioned 1 week after repairs and intermittently it did exactly what you are describing. They towed it back to the shop and replaced one of the solenoids. Probably a left over problem from the transmission core that was rebuilt. No problems since.

As far as worth it? Only you can answer that. But have you priced new SUV's lately?

Last edited by LesMyer; 08-18-2016 at 10:15 AM.