Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

99 blazer randomly dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 PM
fatguy605 is on a distinguished road
Default 99 blazer randomly dies

I have had this blazer for a couple months, and so far I have replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs and wires, maf sensor, and map sensor. I thought the maf sensor fixed the problem, but it didnt. I can drive around all day with no problem, then randomly it just acts like its choking, and dies. It will usually start right back up and idle fine, but when I go take off, I get up to 20-30 mph, and it chokes out and dies again. Only two codes it is pulling is p0101, which is maf sensor, that I have since replaced, and another code that says transmission module unstable. I'm tired of trying to figure this out. Does anyone have any idea? I have talked to a couple mechanics, and they have never heard of anything like this before. I'm about ready to light it on fire and roll it into the woods. Please help.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:25 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

How are the Dist cap , Dist rotor, and when was the fuel filter last changed?

Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM

I'm not sure. I just bought this a couple months ago, and have been fixing things one by one.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Beginning Member
lazer2000 is on a distinguished road

I don't think you have a similar problem, but my engine evidently shut down because the fan belt got stopped by a jammed/halted alternator.
But I don't see how there could be a ceiling of 20-30 mph for that.
Maybe it is indeed related to a gear change in the transmission. It depends a little on how it shuts down?
An engine that gets stopped mechanically would definitely lead to some shaking in the car and the shutdown would be pretty instantaneous.

If it is more like a "choking" stop, it seems more likely there is an issue with the fuel system (filter/pump) or the distributor (cracked cap, or maybe just a timing problem?)

P.S... Good luck+cheers! I'm fixing up a Blazer from 91 right now, also slowly problem by problem

Last edited by lazer2000; 07-10-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM

It doesn't instantly die. The first two times it happened, was as soon as it went to switch to third. But every other time has been anywhere from 2nd gear, to cruising down the highway at 75mph. But when it dies, it just loses power until I slow to a crawl, then dies completely. Then when I start it back up, it has the smell like It's flooded or something.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Beginning Member
lazer2000 is on a distinguished road

I hope there'll be a better expert than myself answering soon on this...
if it dies slowly like that, I would venture to guess that it might be an electrical or a fuel problem or a combination of the two.
I might get it to an auto parts store and have them check the battery/alternator.

"smell like it's flooded" sounds strange though.. you mean inside the vehicle?...
It sounds like there could be a coolant leak that has coolant evaporate on the hot engine.
Loosing power can also be an overheating issue... what does the temperature gauge say?

But I feel I'm tapping in the dark. I don't really have a clear idea.
Most likely, I would say it's a fuel problem or an electrical problem or a combination of both.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 AM

I probably should have worded that different. But anyway, I've had the battery and alternator tested, and they are good. The temperature reads normal. And I agree, it does sound like a fuel or elec issue.. but pinpointing it is my problem. I'm tired of wasting money on this piece of crap.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tested your ignition switch? Does your security light illuminate on the dash when it dies? Have a look at the link in my signature.

Are there any consistencies between when it decides to die? Humid days? Hot days? etc?? If so, then it could be something in the ignition system overheating and faulting out. ICM and/or coil problems can cause a somewhat random occurrence like this.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 PM

How do I test the icm? It usually only happens when it is hot.. though the last time it happened after running for only 5 minutes, and had been sitting for a little over an hour before that.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You used to be able to take the ICM & coil to pretty much any autoparts store and have them run several load tests on it in rapid succession, but most places don't do that anymore which sucks.

One thing you could try is just removing the ICM and see if there is still somewhat gooey thermal paste between the ICM & the bracket/heat-sink it mounts to. If its all dried up and crusty, you could try cleaning both the ICM & bracket really well and applying some new thermal paste.