Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

'99 blazer won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Beginning Member
edacsac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I've been reading here a bit, but I'm not sure where to go. Just had a bunch of work done on my blazer to get ready for winter. Winter is showing up this friday, and now it won't start. I had my radiator replaced a few months ago, and just had the rear u-joints replaced. All was well, until tonight. No start. It's now in the 40's. It was in the high 60's when I last ran it. It always runs strong.

Full tank of gas, but it seems like there is no gas when I turn it over. I can't hear the fuel pump when the key is turned, but then again I never could.

I've seen the miracle of tapping the gas tank in a certain spot to get the pump going for a last emergency run to the mechanic. Where is the magic tap spot? I've been beating on the gas tank all over the place. I'd like to fix this one myself though. I spent all kinds of money on things I knew it needed. I guess I should've waited until something broke before spending money.

I haven't worked on a car in probably 17 years, and that car was old then. I don't know even how I would check for spark. I know I could use some tune up parts, but I'd like to figure out what might be wrong to see if I can handle it myself.

Any ideas to get me going? I'm kind of panicking. I bought a "summer" car as the blazer is getting on in miles, but it's not winter worthy in any way at the moment and I'm due to be on call this weekend. If it snows, I have no car and as a consequence will have no job if I can't fulfill my 24x7 oncall rotation duties.

I tried to be diligent to keep my blazer ready, but I've still failed...

So since I have skid plates on my truck, I can't even do the tap thing to possibly start it one more time?

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-04-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:47 AM
franklin is on a distinguished road

What i would do is get some starter fluid and spray some down in the throttle body and see if the blazer starts for a few seconds. If it does it sounds like a fuel issue, and if not something else. The fuel pumps on these vehicles are always lound enough to hear when you turn the key on. If the starter fluid starts the vehicle for a few seconds then I would check the fuel pressure to be sure.