Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

99 jimmy? tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:59 PM
gpaholsky10 is on a distinguished road
Default 99 jimmy? tranny swap

i just bought a 99 jimmy with a bad transmission, and ive been on the site looking around for a while, but havent come across any thing on one question ive ben having. to do the tranny swap would it need to be out of the same year truck etc.... or can i use say a 95 blazers tranny? any info would be a great help.
thanks greg.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

i would try and stick to the same year or newer and also make sure the donor vehicle has the same drive train(for lack of a better term) as your blazer. say your blazer is 4wd then find another 4wd tranny or vise versa if you have a 2wd try and find another 2wd tranny itll just make the swap that much easier.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
i would try and stick to the same year or newer and also make sure the donor vehicle has the same drive train(for lack of a better term) as your blazer. say your blazer is 4wd then find another 4wd tranny or vise versa if you have a 2wd try and find another 2wd tranny itll just make the swap that much easier.
A sentiment that has been repeated a number of times in threads just like this. Go newer or the same year. You do not want to go backwards and especially do not want to go that far back. In your case, you could go 98+, but not earlier than that.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:29 PM
gpaholsky10 is on a distinguished road

alright thanks for the input, now ive run into a couple more questions after thinking about it.... i thought it may be the tranny that was going bad but after looking at it with a code reader its saying random missfires, and it will only go up to about 3 grand.... now my question is that its most likely the injectors, but would it make it so that the transmission coud barely make it into 3 so that is why the tranny would seem bad?

Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Banned
dahondaboy is on a distinguished road

I guess we are in the same club, as i have just bought a 97 blazer with a bad tranny too! First your engine problem can be the transmission throwing the comp. into limp mode. i am not a fan of the 4l60e transmissions as they are notorious for solenoid failure and band failure as well as tcc and servo problems lol! i am getting a manual t-5 tranny out of a 98 blazer and swapping it over. so that in the future all i have to worry about is the clutch or a pilot bearing. plus manuals get better gas milage than autos if they are used and shifted properly. keep us updated on your project and include pics if you can. i will do the same

Old 06-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how "notorious" they are for those problems, but because of the sheer number of 4L60E equipped GM vehicles, it may seem like there are more problems while in statistical sense, they are VERY good transmissions.

If you have a misfire condition in the motor, I would address that problem first. Before jumping to the conclusion that the spider is the problem, I would make sure that your ignition system (plugs, wires, cap, & rotor) are up to snuff.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:10 AM
Beginning Member
transformer is on a distinguished road
Default tell ya one thing that wont work

dont worry about trying a tranny of the same year out of say a Firebird or camero if your 2wd

got a pair of 4l60E's here in the garage both 99's one from blazer 2wd 2door the other from a 99 wS-6 bird... different wiring....