Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

!995 Blazer runs terrible when cold..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member
rapidroy5858 is on a distinguished road

sorry was a duplicate post

Last edited by rapidroy5858; 01-06-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Beginning Member

Not sure if you read my original reply to your last reply to me but I am rewriting this due to the fact I had an issue with my pressure gauge.Once I figured out what was wrong with my gauge I did the test as you told me.
I have no way to attach a hose to the return side because my return line threads into the fuel rail...not sure if thats what its called but anyway I simply stuufed rags in front of where I removed the return line to try to catch the fuel.
So with key on and pump running in prime mode (about 3 seconds) I observed the gauge go to 80 psi and when the pump turned off the gauge went to 60 psi..it bled off very very slowy about 5 psi in 10 mins.
I repeated this test twice with identical results

also I have another issue now, I wanted to remove a poppet from where it plugs in and when I did the prongs that hold it in place broke off..they are very brittle?If the spider assembly does not need to be replaced is there a way to keep the poppet in its bore? as of now it is just sitting in place.

Last edited by rapidroy5858; 01-06-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:23 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The "wing" clips are what release the nozzles from the manifold. It gets very warm inside the plenum and the nylon gets very brittle. If the nozzle will not stay firmly in place in the intake manifold, the injector assembly will need to be replaced. With the pressure results you found, the problem is the fuel pressure regulator. It can be replaced seperately, but with the broken nozzle clip, the entire assembly needs to be replaced. The regulator comes with it. Unless the pressure and return lines in the manifold have been replaced recently, I would strongly recommend replacing them with the injector assembly. Dorman makes the replacement lines and most auto parts stores have them, both lines are sold as a kit in one package. The pressure line will have a new service port. Replacing the injector and the lines will solve the high fuel pressure issue. Recheck pressure and leakdown at the service port after you're done, and post the results.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:30 AM
Beginning Member

Ok thanks for helping me along here.I decided last night after I had bought the press. reg. that I would return it and get the complete assembly.I can't help but wonder if I will still have the cold start prob though.Hoping for the best,it will take a while to get the assembly but I will definately post the out come.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:03 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When fuel pressure at the service port exceeds 75psi, the rubber diaphragm inside the regulator can rupture. Who knows how long your pressure was at 80psi, but the diaphragm has certainly been weakend and needs replacement. Here is a link for the fuel line kit. The Dorman part number will remain the same no matter what store you go to. Dorman - Help CMFI Fuel Injector Feed and Return Line 55163: Purchase the best Fuel Injector Hose Kit at Advance Auto Parts

Old 01-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks again , I have all the parts ordered,I am trying to understand where the fuel was going with the high pressure..there was no leaking in plenum nor any fuel in the vac line at back port on plenum,is it possible the cylinders were receiving a very rich fuel shot?Fuel mileage has been down..and again only in the colder weather..below 20 f would the symptoms be severe.
Thank Royboy

Old 01-07-2015, 05:16 PM

The fuel was not leaking, the results of your leakdown test prooved that. The fuel pressure was contained in the pressurized part of the fuel delivery system. Much like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. The water doesn't leak anywhere, it still comes out the end, only at a higher pressure. Something wrong in your pressure regulator causing the pressure to rise higher than it should be.

The PCM is programmed to control the injector properly only if fuel pressure is within spec, (55psi to 61psi on yours). In other words, it can only compensate for changes that are within spec. When the PCM opens the injector for a given amount of time: If the pressure is low, less fuel squirts out. This causes a lean fuel mixture. If the pressure is high, more fuel squirts out. This causes a rich fuel mixture. In your case, the injector is squirting more fuel than the engine needs, (rich fuel mixture) and there goes your fuel mileage. The situation is similar if fuel pressure is low, not enough fuel, engine doesn't produce enough power, you push harder on the gas pedal, there goes your fuel mileage. In both cases the engine does not perform correctly, and fuel mileage drops.