Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:58 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ???

When I shift the tranny from park through all the gears the motor either idles up high or sometimes innuetral it bogs down and dies not sure what could be causing this,, also when I press on the brakes it does the same thing. Any ideas.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ???

The likely cause of your stalling is a vacuum leak which could be caused by a faulty vacuum booster.

One other suggestion. Please try to title your threads with something more descriptive...

Old 10-02-2008, 12:16 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there another name for this "vacuum booster"? I cannot find it at any store. Thanks

Old 10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need to find the cause of the vacuum leak. Please do not just go buy parts and throw them at your truck... If it is the vacuum booster (aka brake booster - located between the brake master cylinder and the firewall), then replace it.

To test, run the engine, then shut it off. Wait a minute or two, then remove the vacuum line (check valve and all) from the front of the brake booster. If you do not hear a woosh of air being sucked into the brake booster, then the booster and/or check valve is bad. You could try replacing the check valve first (cheap enough). If the results are the same, then the booster is bad.

To check for other vacuum leaks, I use an unlit propane torch and listen for changes in engine RPM as I trace along the vacuum lines with the torch tip. The propane being sucked into a vacuum leak should cause the engine RPM to change.