Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Abs type

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 06:22 PM
Beginning Member
Rick Espinoza is on a distinguished road
Default Abs type

How can I find out what ABS system I have? Its a 1995 chevy blazer 4.3L 2wd

Thanks

Old 12-25-2017, 05:38 AM
Starting Member
oldeerslayer is an unknown quantity at this point

look under your hood.... on the drivers fender if there is a large metal pumping station with brake lines going in it you have 4 wheel, if you just have a black thin box below your master cylinder you have the 2 wheel abs.
Pretty sure all S-series with the 4.3 had awal brakes in 95. Don't remember seeing a Blazer with 2 wheel abs.
Why? What's the problem?

Old 12-25-2017, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by oldeerslayer
look under your hood.... on the drivers fender if there is a large metal pumping station with brake lines going in it you have 4 wheel, if you just have a black thin box below your master cylinder you have the 2 wheel abs.
Pretty sure all S-series with the 4.3 had awal brakes in 95. Don't remember seeing a Blazer with 2 wheel abs.
Why? What's the problem?
Oh ok, I think I remember seeing those break lines. I'm about to check for codes on the blazer because the ABS light is on, but in the code reader manual I didn't see my 95 blazer on the list where it shows what type of ABS system I have.

Old 12-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

Could you post a pic of the module oldeerslayer described. Something with the name and numbers so we can be sure what you have. 95 was a transition year that doesn't show up because they were assembled with different types of ABS systems.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:37 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Rusty Nuts
Could you post a pic of the module oldeerslayer described. Something with the name and numbers so we can be sure what you have. 95 was a transition year that doesn't show up because they were assembled with different types of ABS systems.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:54 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Rick Espinoza

I just found out that I have the incorrect code reader. I should be using my OBD II. So I connected my OBD II, but its not getting any data. It powers up my scanner, but its not connecting to the computer, I get an error. I checked the fuses and i checked the connector pins. What else could cause data connection problems?

Old 12-27-2017, 06:22 AM
Starting Member
oldeerslayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rick Espinoza
I just found out that I have the incorrect code reader. I should be using my OBD II. So I connected my OBD II, but its not getting any data. It powers up my scanner, but its not connecting to the computer, I get an error. I checked the fuses and i checked the connector pins. What else could cause data connection problems?
On the 95's they are still OBD1, but use a connector that an OBD2 cable will plug into. But not read the data. Unless you have a Tech 1 or 2 or one of the rare scanners that actually can read 95's it is tricky. I think Auto Xray used to make one. A trick that will work with some OBD1 scanners is to make a couple jumper wires to plug into the correct data and ground ports of the Data Link Connector and on to an OBD1 cable and scanner. As shown below:

Old 12-27-2017, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member

On the 95's they are still OBD1, but use a connector that an OBD2 cable will plug into. But not read the data. Unless you have a Tech 1 or 2 or one of the rare scanners that actually can read 95's it is tricky. I think Auto Xray used to make one. A trick that will work with some OBD1 scanners is to make a couple jumper wires to plug into the correct data and ground ports of the Data Link Connector and on to an OBD1 cable and scanner. As shown below:

I returned the OBB I That I had bought. All it did really was just short pins to make the check engine or ABS light flash codes, so I'm sure that wouldnt help me if the blazer doesn't give codes that way.
​​​​​​​All I have right now is Centech can/obd II scanner. It doesn't have a 12 pin ODB I connector like the one shown in your photo though. I guess I'm gonna have to pay $$$ to have a repair shop connect it.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Beginning Member

I returned the OBD I That I had bought. All it did really was just short pins to make the check engine or ABS light flash codes, so I'm sure that wouldnt help me if the blazer doesn't give codes that way. I guess 'm gonna have to take it to a shop and spend $$$ to have it hooked up. All I have is a Centech OBD II scanner with 16 pin connector.

Last edited by Rick Espinoza; 12-27-2017 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 12-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

I just ran into this problem yesterday. Not with the ABS light, but with the scanner. I have a 94 blazer s10 Tahoe, started it up, service engine light came on. Grabbed my code reader (which looks just like the one pictured above, Harbor Freight???), but it wouldn't fit. After research, found out it's OBDi I need, not ii. I was looking at the Bosch 1300 scanner, anyone familiar with it?
I also have that same box in my truck but my wires/tubes are not as neat as yours. They stretch all across the front of the engine, running across the top of the radiator towards the battery. How many and what are the types of ABS systems are there?

Quick Reply: Abs type