Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Accelerates But Won't Move?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 PM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accelerates But Won't Move?

Another problem just popped up yesterday on my 99 blazer 4x4. When you start to drive down the road and somewhat floor it like to pass somebody the tach shoots way up to 3 grand but it seems as though you are sitting still. When you let off the gas pedal for a couple of seconds and slowly apply it back then increase the throttle back up it either picks back up or shifts and picks back up. I don't know much about GM transmissions can I still drive it like this if I take it easy. Also is there a web site with step by step on a V8 conversion for 98 up blazers, I can only find ones for like 85 to 91 types. I really don't want to buy the book until I am sure I am going to do it. Which engine is the best? I can seem to save money fast enough to do a swap. I really like my blazer but am tired of working on it. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:27 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Accelerates But Won't Move?

Time to rebuild the tranny.
You may get lucky and its just the torque converter.
Seek the advice of a tranny shop in your area.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 PM

Crap!!!! That's what I thought. Just my luck. I don't understand it do alot of other blazers have problems? I offroad quite a bit but I am very good at I have 10 years experience with serveral types of vehicles and I am not like most I don't go out to tear stuff up. While all my buddies are tearing there vehicles up and blowing expensive partsI baby mine and for the most part can do the very same things they do withoutreving the engine high or rocking toget out ofa hole. Are 99's problem prone? When I got the vehicle it had something like 100,000 mile which in my book should just be broken in. I thoughly checked the vehicle out and test drove to make sure everything worked, no leaks, no smoke, nothing. I change the fluids often as my parents and friends say Iamto perticularabout it. I change parts or fluideven when itlooks like it showing signs of wear. I am meticulous about my vehicles I guess because I grew upknowing the value of a dollar and that money doesn't grow on trees. Since Igot it inDec 2005I have replacedthe A/C compressor, condencer,evaporator, water pump,alternator (which when it went out it took out the battery),radiator fix (which was expensive),I have been throughtwo sets of U Joints in 55,000 miles, 4 calipers(thething was literally eating calipers, which were all installed at a Chevy dealer), 4 rotors,the brake master cylinder. As well as the usual stuff like tune up ( plugs, wires, timing) exhaust system, radiator hoses. Now it looks like a tranny now to boot. All I am trying to do is keep it running with minimal investment till I can afford to turn it into the ride I have been saving so long forand maybe with a V8. Bad luck or bad truck?!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:44 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a lot of work on her.
Although most trucks need repiars around the 100,000 mark.
tranies typically last 150,000 -200,000 before a rebuild. However heat is the number one reasons trannies fail. 4wheeling generates a ton of heat and there isn't a lot of air movement over the radiator to cool it. I recommend an auxilary tranny cooler.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 AM

My next will be equipped with one. The only reason it doesn't have one now is because as I said I have been actively contimplating an engine and trans swap. I been thinking a 350 out of a tahoe as some members have suggested as from the picts I have seen you can keep most factory accesories as well as intake tubing and most of the stock type setup. If it totally fails and goes out before a swap can be done what should I look for in a good donor at a junkyard. Obviously the normal stuff pops out at me but I am not all that familiar with GM is there any traits that I should look for to indicate a bad tranny. I can'teven think of how much the repairs would have cost if I had not been able to do alot of them myself. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran

Get a 30 day warrenty from the salvage yard.

Buy a bottle of Lucas trany fluid. Use that instead of one quart of tranny fluid. When you put new tranny fluid into a used tranny that never had the fluid changed you run a great risk in removeing the crap that is stopping the seals from leaking. Tranny fluid is full of detergents, new fluid will clean all the seals, gaskets, and if they are worn once the debris is removed you run the risk of a leak. Ask the autoparts store for something to treat"tranny shock" (the technical term, lol) and tell them that your swapping in a used tranny. If they are worth anything they will know what your talking about and point you in the right direction. Lucas makes some damn good products.

Things to look for, other then smelling the fluid and checking the color, no not really. Get the warrenty. A decent used tranny will run about half the cost of a rebuild. $400-$500 bucks around here. As for selection, if your truck is 4x4 get a 4x4 tranny. Donors for the 700R4/4L60/4L60E are everywhere. GM put those autos in just about everything 1/2 ton and lighter.

I recommend replaceing the input gasket, $5 part, however if it leaks after the tranny is in the truck, you have to pull the tranny back out to replace it. Well worht the $5. Replace the tranny dipstick tube gasket as well. If its a 2wdr replace the output gakset as well, again $5 part, however its not a big deal to replace on a 2wdr, pull the driveshaft.

Check out hte Self-Help section. I did a write up on pulling the tranny. Got any more questions, ask.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:53 AM

Thanks I appreciate the help looks like I know what I will be doing this weekend!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Hey Hanr3 I may have avoided something major I tore into it this morning. Before I did anything I decided to try something easy first and I took an drained the hole entire transmission and let it set for about 1 hour then I took jugs of trans fluid that I had laying around and sense they were kind of old I could use them. They had never been opened but I had them forawhile and flushed them through the trans twice. I had a hole lot of junk come out (notmetal shavings oranything like that, just like a dirt like substance) which I neverseen beforein other vehicles that I haveworked on include transmissions.When I took the pan off thefilterhad some crap in it which I replaced. The fluid that was in it when I drained itwas awful dark I thought soafter flushing twice I filled with better stuff that was recommended for high mileage transmissions as well as a Lucasconditioner (I think it is the same stuff you recommended). Wouldn't youknow the thing has stoppeddoing and it seems to be shifting better. I been really busy and haven't had a lot of time to stop and think so I guess I just over looked the simple things this time.
Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran

Glad to hear it, although you need to save your penny's.

The tranny is a closed system. The only way for the tranny fluid to get dirty is from tranny parts.