Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Auto to manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:38 PM
Starting Member
Remington Laisy is on a distinguished road
Default Auto to manual conversion

Hello! SonI went on Facebook and I asked this question on an S10 blazer page and I got laughed at by a bunch of ******** and received no help and that because I’m a woman I shouldn’t even get my hands dirty. so hopefully here I can actually get some real help from some people who know what they’re talking about. I want to convert my 95 s10 blazer to a manual from an automatic and I have no information on if that’s even possible but its something that I really want to do. If anybody has experience in conversion or can help me or just tell me that it’s not possible I’d really appreciate. I’m new to working on cars I know all the basics and what tools to use on what and I’m learning everyday so don’t shun me for not knowing something that could be very basic, I just need some advice.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:10 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

It can be done, and from what I have read, isn't super duper hard. Not a weekend deal, by any means, though.

Ive seen a write up here somewhere about how to do it. I think what would make it the easiest is if you could find a manual donor truck, that way you have everything you need

Old 04-02-2019, 06:05 PM
Starting Member
Remington Laisy is on a distinguished road

Okay thank you, I’ll have to wait til I get my new car then, I was hoping to bust it out on a three day weekend! I have never seen a manual blazer on Craigslist, at least in Washington Portland might have some though. I really appreciate it!

Old 04-02-2019, 06:08 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I mean, if you had everything ready to go, might be able to do it in a three day weekend, but there's always stuff that comes up to make it take longer. I wouldn't wanna be rushed like that

Old 04-02-2019, 07:41 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I always make sure to leave myself some extra time. For any project, if it calls for a day, I give myself 2.

If you do this, make a post, who love to see the work!

Old 04-02-2019, 11:15 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

You may try looking into a 1995 s10 / s15 pickup for a parts vehicle - as far as I know parts should interchange and even tho it's a rarity a standard may be more common in a pickup.
Just a thot and my

Old 04-03-2019, 02:09 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I did mine pretty easily in a weekend, but I have 30 years of wrenching experience and a fully equipped shop. Working on the ground with basic hand tools and less experience, I would leave at least a couple of weekends.

On your '95, I believe you need to install a whole clutch pedal bracket assembly, which may require dash disassembly or removal. On the later models (like mine), the clutch pedal literally snaps in. The hole in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder should already be center punched, so that's easy. The wiring for the vehicle speed sensor might be plug and play, but you'll probably need a new plug for the reverse light switch, and a wiring diagram to see which wires to hook to it. Also, you'll need to have the PCM reprogrammed if you want it all to work properly and not give you a bunch of codes with a check engine light. Or, because it's a '95 and not a "real" OBD2, that may not be necessary. Don't forget the little things like cutting a hole in the floor for the shifter.

As somebody already mentioned, it would be smart to have a complete donor vehicle to steal parts from. A pickup should be fine if you can't find a Blazer, but it should be a '95, since that year is unique in some ways.