Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Before I start tearing into the motor.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Starting Member
96Ls4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Before I start tearing into the motor.

I have a few questions....

I know I have an intake gasket leak, could this cause antifreeze to go into the exhaust?
If not then it would be a headgasket leaking right?

I've checked the oil and tranny fluid and they are good. But I'm still loosing coolant. Nothing is leaking anywhere though. The exhaust is white all the time.

What all will I need if it is the headgasket?
Gasket set and headbolts right? A Chiltons or Haynes book.

I'm thinking about doing a good tune-up while it's getting other new things.

Distributor cap and rotor, wires and plugs, PCV and Fuel filters, what else would I need to replace or atleast check out? I bought a new t-stat and rad. cap about 2 weeks ago.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Before I start tearing into the motor.

If your intake gasket is leaking bad enough then coolant could get into the cylinders.
To check for a head gasket I would suggest performing a compression test.
It's a lot easier to replace just the intake gasket than to have to do head gaskets.
The head bolts can be cleaned and re-used, no need to replace them if you do a head gasket.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 PM
Starting Member

to do a compression test don't I have to fix the intake gasket first?

Old 12-13-2007, 10:48 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a factory service manual for your truck if you do extensive engine work yourself. They cost more, but will be more detailed than a Chilton or Haynes manual.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:27 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: 96Ls4Dr

to do a compression test don't I have to fix the intake gasket first?
A compression test measures the pressure in the cylinder, if the pressure is low it will be due to leakage by the rings, valves or the head gasket.
No, you don't have to fix the intake first.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Moving to Engine & Transmission*

*Merging my reply from this thread*

ORIGINAL: swartlkk on 12/13/2007 at 10:28:39 PM

It is possible for an intake manifold leak to get into the exhaust as the coolant passages are right next to the intake runners. However, the most common leak path is outside, followed closely by into the lifter valley (to the oil).

To diagnose a head gasket failure, a compression check should be done. By comparing the compression cylinder to cylinder, you can determine if there is a leak.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Starting Member

Did the compression test today.

From rear to front
pass side was 180, 185, 175
driverside was 190, N/A, 190
I couldn't do the middle cause I don't have a swivel.

So what is my next move? Change the intake mani gasket right?

What kit do I need?

This one is $40 from autozone. I think this is the one I need.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, assuming that the middle cylinder on the driver's side is not the problem... I would atleast want to look at the plug to assess the cylinder's health.

How did the other plugs look? Any of them show signs of coolant?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Starting Member

What would they look like?

They were all black, the back two smelled like gas and the front two looked like they had oil on them too.

Do keep in mind I haven't started it in about a week and for some reason the battery was compleatly dead. I was using jumper cables to get it powered up and trying to start it for a while before I could do anything.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator

So did you get the center plug on the driver's side pulled?

Being black doesn't sound good, but it also doesn't sound like a coolant leak. But you have to look at all of them.

Quick Reply: Before I start tearing into the motor.