Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Blazer did it again.....WORSE!...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Beginning Member
BlasterMaster is on a distinguished road
Question Blazer did it again.....WORSE!...

Well after i posted my welcome message i mentioned that my problem with 4x4 was solved removing the battery cable, well it didnt last much, yesterday did it again but this time on the road and it was way WORSE, it wasnt 4lo this time but neutral, had to push the truck alone more than 300m, well... its heavy! very heavy!....

After i got to work tried the battery fix but no luck, clickin sound coming from the passengers side caught my atention, yes....4x4 auto computer from hell was clicking like crazy!, all 4x4 lights were turning on-off, and truck was on neutral...i removed the crazy computer and took it to a tranny shop and they told me they didn have it, they could order one but for like 300dlls.... come on i dont have even a week with this truck and i already have to fix the oil coolan lines that cost me like 130dlls (forget to mention it) and now this!.

Try once, again, again and nothing, i was about to give up but i removed the freakin computer and started the truck, well, its neutral, no reverse, no nothing, suddenly i heard some metal with metal sound when i was back to parking and i was like WTF!, tried and it worked! whithout the darn computer!....Driving it a day and a half and everything ok but some vibration when i hit 40 to 60 mph, if i keep accelerating it gets stronger, so.... vibrates = off gas....resume accelerating....and the process repeats.

Well i dont really care if i dont have 4x4, i like the truck very much, my question is, ithere is any problem that i drive without the computer attached?, im in 2hi or 4hi if i do this?.

Sorry for the long post but i always try to provide the most info possible.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
samtratom3 is on a distinguished road

I have seen many posts on the internet that the wiring in the steering column shorts out and causes alot of odd issues. Everything from the dash lights coming on then going off to tranny slipping to power windows and heater not working, But every post I had seen says its all intermediate and seems to fix itself but comes back. Overall solution for each post I read was replaced wiring in steering column. Maybe someone with more experience in the blazers could offer a little insight on this.

Maybe a shot in the dark but just another option before replacing unneeded parts.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

It sounds like something in the transfer case to me . But I also have just resently changed my steering column to .

Old 03-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member
Question

Thanks for your replies ill check the column.

So anyone knows about if its safe to drive without the TCCM plugged?, i just want the truck walkin until i got money to fix it.... only 2wd for a while!.

Anyone?......

Old 03-17-2011, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member
jcpc83 is on a distinguished road

You'll be in 2hi I believe. You hadn't complained about steering issues, so I'd say 2 wheel drive. There shouldn't be any issues driving with out the transfer case computer. What year is your blazer? And what are the numbers on the computer? I tore down a 99 and pulled several computers out of it, I might have it. The issue with the column is that the ignition switch can get corroded and sends weak voltage to the accessories, so you need to pull the column apart and pull the harness that connects to the ignition switch and take a multi meter and probe the connections with the key in each position. There shouldn't be any resistance.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please list the year of your truck along with how many buttons are on your dash at the very least.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Beginning Member
Arrow

The year is 1999 and its a 4 button switch, havent check the column yet, im busy at work ill leave it for this weekend.

Actually im driving the truck without serious problems only it lacks of power, BIGTIME, no TCCM, no ATC fuse, but runs!, just want to know if this is safe or can cause mayor troubles.

A friend of mine said that i should remove the link from the transmission to the front wheels, but i really dont want to do that, i have read a lot in this forum and in conclusion i have a bad TCM, im gonna do the manual cable actuator for the front and some invention for the lever on the transmission to engage 4x4 if i REALLY get to need it, BUT i do wanna know if its safe cause i dont have much money right now.

Im trying to understand so many names of the parts in english, some are easy but i still have problems identifying some of them, believe me i have read a lot of post's and probable solutions, hours and hours of new info .

The vibration problem its gettin worst so im just driving in the city at no more than 45mph .

My other post`s with more info.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/new-me...56/#post416560

https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine...e2/#post416303

Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should always include your vehicle information in any post asking for technical help. Those trying to help you should not have to look elsewhere for that information. Many will just skip on over your post if this info isn't listed. Just pointing that out for any future threads you may create.

Now, given that the vibration is getting worse, I'd say you have to find the source of the vibration before you go ruining more stuff. The vibration could be caused by a sticking engagement cable which runs from the vacuum actuator under the battery down to the front differential. THIS THREAD has some information about the front axle engagement system.

Not having the TCCM hooked up will not prohibit the operation of the truck, but in your case, it also doesn't alleviate the condition.

As far as the TCCM goes, clicking can be caused by a lot of different things. I wouldn't dig too far into the steering column just yet though. How did the connections at the TCCM look? Corrosion on either of the connectors can cause some very weird things to occur.

You really should go through all of the wiring, checking connections at the switch, the TCCM, and the encoder motor (side of the transfer case). Check the resistance on all of the wires from the switch & encoder motor to the TCCM (they all should be near zero ohms). Check the switch itself for the resistance values and make sure that each button is within spec. The NV236 Wiring Information thread details the circuits and resistances involved.

A malfunctioning switch can cause the TCCM to go crazy as well.

Was your 'service 4wd' light ever illuminated on the dash? If so, the truck was trying to tell you what was wrong. If you get it back together and the light comes on again, get the TCCM scanned for codes. Generic scan tools cannot access the TCCM.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Beginning Member
Thumbs down

Sorry im late, i worked on Sunday, they are remodeling the office......

Well first of all thanks for your reply's and suggestions, i only had like 4 hours to check the Blazer's `problems this weekend, i Seafoamed (by the way this stuff is so rare around here, nobody knows about it, found it on Laredo, Texas in NAPA.) the engine, gas, booster vacuum(smoked but not to much), and transmission, drove the truck for 50 miles like GTA and i found some interesting details when i was changing fluids...

-Engine oil was just black and thick like hershey's...

-Spark plugs are good, burned brown-gray.

-Oil filter... no comment...

-Fuel filter had some particles of rust, tiny ones, i need a new fuel pump filter, and flush the lines, etc...

-Transmission oil its dark too but still a little red, it smells like burnt thought, i to used Seafoam in it, the transmission type of course, well, transmission had the filter loose, hanging around everywhere, and plus one coil was loose, maybe this was causing the vibration when 60mph. TCM its toasted, connectors and motor.

Im not checking the steering column i guess the problem has been found, also removed the battery and the vacuum actuator its alright, the cable to the front axle works too, but the clip that pulls the cable its full of rust, i removed it and will leave it like that, when i get some cash ill buy the manual actuator for the front axle and some invention to the transmission 4x4 selector.

Truck its not running, im looking for the transmission coil, when its ready ill tell you if the vibration went off.

Thank you all for your interest!.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:45 AM
Beginning Member
Angry

I found the coil, or solenoid, or expensive piece of S***....... well it was like 40dlls but its so small! already have spent a lot of money and time in this truck, i fix something and another thing awaits....

I put everything back on and drove the truck today, heres a list of work done since i got her.

-Engine oil
-Oil Filter
-Spark plugs
-Air filter
-PCV
-Transmission oil
-Transmission filter
-New Transmission solenoid (i think its the A?)
-Fuel filter
-AC works now, faulty sensor or something (cost 5dlls), 2 cans of gas.
-Fixed side mirror's position switch and selector (crapy switch BTW....)
-Engine oil leak

Results... Same vibration when i reach 60mph, u joints are fine, overall suspension its fine, gain a little acceleration but thats all, when idle its like if missfires slightly but hardly noticeable.

First time i turned on "service engine soon" light was on........ o man i bet you can imagine my reaction, after all my work this was my reward.

Well i took her to Autozone...... it was the cap of the gas tank!!!

Fixed and 0dlls payed .....

I hit the freeway and floor the gas pedal for the first time since i got her, it was like i was towing a trailer... slowly advanced to 50mph and then brbrbrbrbrbrbr... vibration... off gas.... no vibration.... floor it again and slooowly i manage to get it to 60mph, rmp's didnt pass from 2200 little more little less, vibration......... its driving me crazy...

Some random guy at work has a Blazer not ZR2, he seems so happy, bastard...

Ok i know, unnecessary toughs of mine poured into the internet, i miss my 1994 K5 Blazer ....

I read so many threads today, in this forum, in ZR2, even a forum from Venezuela!, so this is the list of what im going to check next.

-TPS
-MAF
-EGR
-VSS
-Distributor
-Spark plugs Cables
-Transmission mount
-Riflemans suggestions on splice pack and others.

Service engine its not lit, Autozone got no more codes, if anyone can help me to diagnose this problem well here i am, before i spent more money.

Thanks in advance, ill keep you informed. .

Quick Reply: Blazer did it again.....WORSE!...