Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Blazer steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Beginning Member
1990blackgt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer steering shaft

[:@]Hey, i'm in the process of pulling my heads on my 95 blazer w/vortec and would LOVE to have that damn steering shaft out of the way... anyone know how to do this? Also, anybody know how to remove the power steering pump? Or where to get the correct puller for the pulley?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer steering shaft

You should be able to pull the hole bracket including the power steering pump from the front of the engine. If you want to pull the power steering pump separately, a power steering pump pulley puller can be purchased from pretty much any autoparts store.

Once you have the accessory bracket and power steering pump out of the way, then you just need to pull the retaining bolt on the end of the steering shaft where it mounts to the steering gear box. You'll want to draw an alignment mark on the gear box and the shaft and do not turn the steering wheel or the steering gearbox.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member

There is a bolt behind the power steering pump holding the bracket to the head that I can't get to.... Maybe I don't know how to do it??

Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's a pain for sure. The trick is to only loosen this nut enough to slide the pump out. Do not remove this nut! I was able to use a regular 3/8 impact socket and a 3/8 rachet to remove the bolt. The socket has to be put on first, then put the rachet on. The problem with this nut is there isn't enough room for a deep socket and shallow socket cannot be used with the rachet on the socket because the stud that the nut threads onto is a bit too long for that.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 AM
Beginning Member

there is no way to even get a socket/wrench on this bolt. I can't even get my finger in there enough to TOUCH the friggin thing.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Trust me, it can and will come out. You just have to get creative.

If you truely cannot get to it in the current position, you may have to look into pulling a motor mount bolt and jacking up the engine. But at that point, it may be easier to just remove the pulley and leave the pump on the front of the motor. It doesn't attach to the heads so you should be good once you get the pulley off of the pump and the main accessory bracket loose from the front of the engine.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:40 AM
Beginning Member

i cannot find the correct puller for the power steering pulley.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Power Steering Pulley Puller - Advanced Auto

Old 10-21-2007, 03:58 AM
Beginning Member

How do I get the A/C side off??

By the way, I see you're a voulnteer FF... I'm a FF too... I work on 147 truck in brooklyn for the FDNY

Old 10-21-2007, 05:56 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

as far as the head itself or pull the ac bracket off if its the bracket once the power steering pulley is off the bracket comes off with the i think its 3 or 4 bolts on the front lower part of the bracket but the hold down bolts are on the front of the bracket can't remember if its 3 or 4 bolts