Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Blazer won't reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Starting Member
Alois is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer won't reverse

Hi, (I'm from Holland, so there's probable a lot wrong bout my English..)

I've recently bought a '88 Blazer 5.7 L, ATM. I was stalled for 3 years before I bought it. It worked fine for week, I really enjoy driving it! After a ride you could smell the scent of (I think) the clutch.

One morning it wouldn't reverse, it worked fine the day before. When I put it in reverse it just doesn't move. 3 seconds after putting it in reverse you hear a very suddle rattle (like sprockets moving over one another), you can only barely hear it.

After checking the ATM oil level I found out it needed an extra 2 liters (0,5 gallon). After having filled it, it still didn't work. The ATM oil doesn't smell burned.

All other gears work fine, the backlights work when it's put in reverse.

Has anyone got an idea of what the problem may be?

Thanks in advance!

P.s. can anyone hook me up with a workshop manual, I looked for it but I couldn't find anything.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your transmission is a 700R4. The best manual for the transmission would be the ATSG manual. They aren't prohibitively expensive. The factory service manuals will also cover the transmission in pretty good detail. They can be found on eBay from time to time.

As far as your condition, I am sorry to say this, but most times, this is caused by a failure in either the low-reverse clutch or the reverse input clutch. The attached images show all of the possible causes for the listed condition.

Attached Thumbnails Blazer won't reverse-700r4_no_rev_1of2.gif   Blazer won't reverse-700r4_no_rev_2of2.gif