Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Blazer wont start....FML!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 PM
choover82 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer wont start....FML!

Just got done replacing the transmission filter and fluid over the weekend...start just fine afterward. And started just fine this afternoon as I headed to work. Although I did notice a sputter as I accellorate from a red light...kinda spits and sputters, then it takes off...like a bat outta hell!

Anyways, thought I would make sure the transmission wasnt leaking on my lunch break so I tried to start the blazer, and no go. Cranks over but doesnt even try. I listened for the pump, heard it maybe two times but eventually didnt hear it after that. My obd scanner said there was 14 volts going to the pump when it was running and no codes. I tried putting a screw driver in one of the spark plug wires and cranking the motor but maybe I didnt find the best ground as I saw no spark.

I may try using some ether here soon...if it starts on that, i know the coil is good. But im really thinking its the fuel pump...will find out soon!

Thanks for any help in advance =)

Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I would not start guessing Id run proper diagnoses 1st

if you wanna test the spark you can remove the wire from the coil and put it near the coil with a screw driver

then have someone crank the engine for you. If you have spark

then id run a fuel pressure diagnosis
96+ Fuel System Diagnosis - Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

if you dont hear the pump certain times try swapping relays and see if she kicks on then

Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 AM

Ah ok, I didnt know the proper way to check for spark..thanks for letting me know. Where is the fuel pump relay?

Will check it out later...as its sitting in work parking lot.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

you have a 92 right?

Its right above the brake booster. you will see 2 small black box's side by side mounted on the firewall. ones the air condition relay,the other is the fuel relay. swap em over. if it starts then,just replace the relay.

If this ends up being a pump,DONT cheap out. Go to the dealership and buy the pump. or you will be back in it...these blazers are picky lil bitches with fuel pumps lol.

Let is know if it starts on ether. engine light on?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:10 AM
247monster will become famous soon enough

it kinda funny i had my tranny completly redone and less then a mounth ago i was driving and it just was driving funny ..spittin and boggy and it would not let me over 60 so i was like great my trannys slipping (ya i relize now i was stupid for thinkin that lol) but being the smart guy i ignored it and stopped at wendys to get some grub came back out ...absolutly nothing ..she cranked and cranked and cranked nothing..fuel pump died.. but like the guy above me said DONT CHEAP OUT!! lol get a good pump its goin cost ya alittle more but its totally worth it i made that mistake and dropped the tank and it lasted about two weeks ....haha you dont have to learn from your mistakes...you can learn from others mistakes too lol haha good luck!!

Last edited by 247monster; 02-07-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: misspelt
Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

thing is rockauto.com has the ac delco pump for JUST AS MUCH as an aftermarket pump (like 45 bucks)..Which i knew that before i spent 135.00 on mine.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:23 AM

Thankfully, previous owner cut hole in floor above tank so no dropping tank for me! But Ill check them relays and pray thats all it is...but still thinking its the pump since everything on this truck is broke or damn near!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by chris015
"When you are arguing with an idiot on the internet make sure the other person isn't doing the same thing!"

I enjoyed your signature!

Old 02-07-2012, 03:32 AM
BF Veteran

lol thanks...

and 2 reasons people cut panels out in these blazers.

1. easy access,but if you do it right,you wont have the issue again.
2. they are replacing that aftermarket pump every month under warranty.

How long have you had the blazer? I bet its the pump...

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Maybe two months now.

New Update:

Got to work and tried to start blazer...after a couple cranks, it fired up...shut if off, and started again. I let it run about 15 minutes or so then had to shut it off so I could clock in. At 5pm, I went out thinking since it started earlier it would start again...NOPE!

I did switch around the relays for the fuel pump, but that didnt do anything...and i can hear the pump priming so I can say that is not my problem. So I went to the hardware store, one of many we have in our farm town, and bought a can of ether. Sprayed into the intake and cranked....no change in cranking...didnt even fire on that. So next I grabbed my screw driver, pulled off plug from coil to dizzy, and attempted to ground it...but no spark...

So I have come to the conclussion that my coil died...but i will verify this tomorrow...since NAPA can check.

So if it is my coil pack, which should I buy?

Accell ( http://www.napaautoparts.com/Catalog...(P_RecType%3aA )
Or MSD ( http://www.napaautoparts.com/Catalog...(P_RecType%3aA))

Last edited by choover82; 02-07-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: Blazer wont start....FML!