Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 reader on Android

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Beginning Member
RedOne is on a distinguished road
Default Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 reader on Android

Does somebody use the bluetooth OBD reader and have the Torque application installed on your android phone or tablet?

This look like a brillant combo. You can add lots of gages like Fuel pressure, vacuum, hp, torque.

It also give you all the check engine codes in memory of your ECU.

Hope this will help me solve my issues.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I did a thread on this awhile ago....several members have one...myself included.
I love it...works on all my cars and you can set profiles for each one.
Saves me a trip to the store to read them. Great little system.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Beginning Member
RedOne is on a distinguished road

are you able to check fuel pressure, the TPS signal and the MAF

Old 02-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

I have one, and it works great. It has the ability to show most sensors, but my 97 Blazer doesn't have a fuel pressure sensor (at least no software has ever shown it). It will even show fuel economy, but it's based on MAP or MAF sensor, and requires some more engine info to calculate (displacement and volumetric efficiency).

After my battery ran low, and needed a jump, I got a code. Checked immediately, and it was obviously from low batt condition, cleared it and it didn't come back. For real diagnostics, it still connects to a PC or laptop if you have better software. I forget which one, but one had "GM Extensions" that showed hundreds of things. As far as I can find, NONE of the software for these will ever do two-way stuff, like starting a relearn or other test.

About $100 for the bluetooth connection, and a $3 app. PC Software is a bit more, but there are free ones.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Beginning Member
Xavier is on a distinguished road

You can get the knock-off adapters for less than $20 shipped off of eBay.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:34 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

My kid has it. Showed it to me on his jeep, the adapter wouldnt sync to the PCM on my Bravada

And there is no fuel pressure sensor

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-02-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Beginning Member
skarphace is on a distinguished road

What's the power draw on these? Would the bluetooth adapter sap the battery much if you leave it plugged in at all times?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I left mine on for a week straight...i was checking out the data logging features...never had an issue.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Starting Member
MudJumper is on a distinguished road
Default Bluetooth OBD under $30 - Works great

I purchase one of the knock off OBD readers from E-Bay a while back, worked fine at first but when I got to using it on some other cars (Ford in particular) I found it to be shoddy at best, seems they cut a lot of corners with the ones on Ebay. I did however find one for sale from a company called BAFX Products and have tested it on multiple cars (Fords included) and it has worked with no problems, have noticed a very very slight lag but that is to be expected with these. The lag is nothing compared to the lag with the WiFi readers on Iphones which I have seen be as bad as 4-5 seconds! If anybody's interested this is where I foudn it. http://bafxpro.com/Elm327-type-Bluetooth-OBD2-Scan-Tool-For-Android-or-laptops-2.htm

Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Beginning Member
skarphace is on a distinguished road

For anyone interested, I've had this attached for months now 24/7. I tend to run the car at least once every other day, so I can't speak for long-term sitting, but my battery is unaffected by having this attached.

And now that I have a tablet mounted, I get real-time engine data on the fly. I just wish this year had more sensors.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 reader on Android