Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

A/C Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Beginning Member
ChevyChrissy76 is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Compressor

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4.7.

My ac compressor siezed up on me and I need a little bit of info. It started up just fine this morning but now the pully is not moving, it's shredding my belt and my engine cranks like it's siezed up itself. I'm starting with the compressor and plan to go on from there if it doesn't fix it.

My questions are these:

1. How do I discharge the AC system?
2. What should I look for in a new compressor (ie. Prelubed, needed fluids besides recharge)?
3. Do I need to flush or replace anything else?

This is my first AC compressor replacement and I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-31-2017, 02:59 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ChevyChrissy76
I have a 2003 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4WD 4.7.

My ac compressor siezed up on me and I need a little bit of info. It started up just fine this morning but now the pully is not moving, it's shredding my belt and my engine cranks like it's siezed up itself. I'm starting with the compressor and plan to go on from there if it doesn't fix it.

My questions are these:

1. How do I discharge the AC system?
2. What should I look for in a new compressor (ie. Prelubed, needed fluids besides recharge)?
3. Do I need to flush or replace anything else?

This is my first AC compressor replacement and I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks in advance!
If the belt is shredding with the A/C turned off then the compressor itself may not be at fault. There is a bearing there that works when compressor is turned off, and this is the best case scenario for you.

On the other hand.... when compressors shell out / lock up, they distribute metal particles throughout the A/C system. Definitely should be completely flushed with solvent, accumulator and orifice replaced before installing a new compressor. Then pumped down on a vacuum pump to evaporate all flushing solvent and filled in the correct places with the correct amount and correct type of refrigerant oil.

Or you can simply throw on a compressor on (which includes the bearing) and shoot in a couple of cans of Freon like everyone wants to do. Might last the Summer if the compressor was really locked up.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-31-2017 at 03:05 PM.