General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C Clutch, Compressor or both??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:34 PM
NJEMT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C Clutch, Compressor or both??

I cranked up the AC in my 98 Blazer and the clutch did not engage, I put the a/c gauges on the vechcle (it was low) and added a can of freon, when the clutch engages, it screams and then shuts off. it cycles like this every 30 seconds, is it the compressor or the clutch or something else?

TIA

Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: A/C Clutch, Compressor or both??

Was what you added enough to fill er up?

Based on your description, it sounds like the clutch. I haven't serviced one in a long time so I am not sure what you best course of action should be.

Old 05-31-2006, 10:37 PM
radardan24 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have 01 blazer 4x4 i bought off the dealership test driving with the salesman when the air compressor, evaporator died.
i said "perfect timing" and/ or is this a lemon car?
so far, they bought a new(tried a refurbished-didne fit ) so they bought a new one for me and got a great deal for the blazer with ice cold air that works. i try not to use but summers here in florida are terrible. i think you probably need a clutch, belt, and compressor and evaporator then youll have new system.
dont get used equipment to save money, they never work for long before breaking. spend more, buy the entire part needed from chevy and your good to go. dan

Old 06-01-2006, 01:40 AM
Beginning Member
ACWiz is an unknown quantity at this point

when the clutch engages, it screams and then shuts off
Before you go too far, determine if everything with the clutch is ok. Be sure to check the air gap. That is the distance between the front hub and the pulley. It should be about .025" or about the thickness of a business card. Also, check belt condition, tension, alignment. Also compressor mounts or loose or missing bolts. Other work done on the vehicle could have included removing the compressor. In a lot of cases, they get installed again with lots of parts in the ole 'spare parts' box... if you know what I mean.

Once that is all confirmed, you will need more refrigerant to keep it going. The cycling switch is shutting the compressor down because the system is low. If the compressor noise continues once clutch and belt issues are all confirmed, then you are most likely looking at a compressor.

If you get it working quietly, then I would start looking for leaks, repair as required and then pull vacuum and recharge. If you need more help... scream!

Hope this helps!