Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 AM
Beginning Member
jfin is on a distinguished road

****UPDATE**** ok so this morning i was driving and sure enough that damn engine light came on after i turned it off after i replaced the sensor and drove all day now im just down to bank 1 & 2 running too lean. should i start with vac lines? i looked at the intake manifold gasket and from what i can see there are no signs of leaks or broken spots "but i could be wrong" as i mentioned in the previous messages there is a vac line in question and i can see it goes down to the air pump and its really hard and looks like it could use a replacement. now the question is can i access the air pump without taking the radiator off? i also found a port where it seems i can hook up a tester for fuel pressure its behind the carb. im limited on money as my wife is gonna have our baby in 10 weeks or less but im gonna see how much the tool is to test the fuel pressure.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

You can get the fuel pressure tester at a parts store like Advance orAuto Zone. You will have to pay for it but you get your money back when you return it. I have used a can of non-chlorinated brake clean and spray very lightly at different areas around intake and accessories with engine running. If the idle speed picks up while spraying you have bound a vacuum leak. Best to use a vacuum gauge and see if there’s a leak.
USE THE BRAKE CLEAN AT YOUR OWN RISK! ITS VERY FLAMMABLE.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:10 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jfin
****UPDATE**** ok so this morning i was driving and sure enough that damn engine light came on after i turned it off after i replaced the sensor and drove all day now im just down to bank 1 & 2 running too lean. should i start with vac lines? i looked at the intake manifold gasket and from what i can see there are no signs of leaks or broken spots "but i could be wrong" as i mentioned in the previous messages there is a vac line in question and i can see it goes down to the air pump and its really hard and looks like it could use a replacement. now the question is can i access the air pump without taking the radiator off? i also found a port where it seems i can hook up a tester for fuel pressure its behind the carb. im limited on money as my wife is gonna have our baby in 10 weeks or less but im gonna see how much the tool is to test the fuel pressure.
A.I.R. pump and the A.I.R. pump vacuum switch can be accessed by completely removing the lower panel behind the front bumper (same one you open the door in to get at the oil filter). I would recommend verifying the fuel pressure before worrying about anything else. It may be intermittent, so max pressure on the fuel pump per fuel pump testing sticky would be more indicative of fuel pump health than a simple check.

FYI if you have vacuum leaks, the fuel trim will be off further at idle than at higher engine speed. But those instantaneous readings you quoted will tell you little since fuel trim is constantly cycling up and down in normal operation. What part of the cycle are you catching??????????? You may need a better scanner to sort this out if the fuel pump isn't the culprit. Replacing parts based on codes with no diagnosis is a pretty expensive way to go. Like transman said, most of the pasts stores will give free rental (with deposit) of nice fuel pressure gauges - so that shouldn't be an issue. If you end up needing a better scanner and have an android, I can make a recommendation for well-under $40 (under $50 if you have an i-phone).

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-12-2019 at 03:23 PM.