Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Can't get engine back in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Beginning Member
squire_jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default Can't get engine back in?

So I needed to replace the clutch when I bought my 87 s15 jimmy. I got it pulled the new clutch put in and the throw bearing put in the tranny. went to put the engine back in. and now I cant the F**king thing back in. I spent three hours with 6 guys trying to get it in. I cant get it in what do I do now?

Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you use the clutch plate alignment tool when you put things back together? Where are you getting hung up?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member
PFCBarner is on a distinguished road

i agree sounds like you need to realign your clutch also when trying to drop in and tranny shaft is against clutch rotate motor so teeth will mesh properly

Old 10-27-2009, 07:25 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by squire_jimmy
So I needed to replace the clutch when I bought my 87 s15 jimmy. I got it pulled the new clutch put in and the throw bearing put in the tranny. went to put the engine back in. and now I cant the F**king thing back in. I spent three hours with 6 guys trying to get it in. I cant get it in what do I do now?
first off, why the hell would you pull the engine to do the clutch?
also, you're not very clear as to what you can't get in. are you talking about the engine or the trans? it would also help immensely i you told us what engine is in it (2.8 or 4.3?), if the truck was 2WD or 4WD (makes a big difference as to what trans you're working with as well).
i've pulled both the engine & trans in my '92 4 door, 4X4, 5 speed Jimmy probably 5 times (don't ask, i'm extremely hard on my rides), and never had any help to pull or install either. in fact, i never even used any kind of a jack for the trans (never had anything bigger than a little 2 ton tire jack), so i can't really see what you're having a problem with.
maybe this? if your truck has A/C & is 4WD, the right exhaust manifold tends to want to get hung up on the lower part of the air box as the oil pan sump hits the front diff. just angle the back of the engine down (pull up on the crank pully).

Originally Posted by PFCBarner
i agree sounds like you need to realign your clutch also when trying to drop in and tranny shaft is against clutch rotate motor so teeth will mesh properly
brother, please use proper grammer (punctuation) when posting, i had to red it more than once.
if you can't get the engine mated to the trans (and the clutch is aligned properly), then just put the trans in 1st, and rotate the output shaft. the input shaft will turn and line up with the clutch then. just like PFCBarner was tying to say).
no trying to over run your post brother, but i just found it to be to much of a run on sentence.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Beginning Member

It's a 2.8 4 wheel drive, the clutch is all lined up I just cant get the oil pan over the front diff and get the out put shaft lined up. As for why the engine is out, its because the guy who I bought the truck from already had the engine out to change the clutch.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pull the transmission and transfer case. Drop the motor back in, then put the transmission (less transfer case) onto the engine and then reinstall the transfer case. That will be the easiest way to deal with it all short of dropping the front diff down and out of the way.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Beginning Member

I think thats what I am going to have too do. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. I was hoping I wouldnt have to pull the tranny and transfer case

Old 10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

I think thats what I am going to have too do. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. I was hoping I wouldnt have to pull the tranny and transfer case
swartlkk is right, that 's the only way it'll go in (i've tried it on my truck before, there is no other way).
if it was an automatic,it'd practically fall right through, but then it wouldn't be out for a clutch job then, would it?
sounds like you'll be back together in no time now.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member

Got her back in this morning. was able to slide the tranny back about half an inch and she slid right in place. Next time I am just going to take the engine and tranny out in one piece and put it back in the same way it came out.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Jason Rebellion is on a distinguished road

Got her back in this morning. was able to slide the tranny back about half an inch and she slid right in place. Next time I am just going to take the engine and tranny out in one piece and put it back in the same way it came out.

not tryin to sound rude but next time if you're just changin the clutch leave the engine in..no need to do all the extra work if all it is changing out a clutch

Quick Reply: Can't get engine back in?