Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Can't get oil filter off

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Beginning Member
Cody Zakowski is on a distinguished road
Default Can't get oil filter off

Hi, I'm helping my buddy do a tune up on his 93 blazer 4x4. The problem I ran into is the oil filter that is located behind the driver's side headlight, I can not get it off for the life of me using the clamp. Just wondering if anyone knows if that screw/bolt above the filter is a Set screw of some sort that is keeping the filter in place because of the way it is hanging? Any help would help a ton. Thanks!

Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that keeps the filter in place is the gasket tension from tightening down the filter initially. There are no set screws or other backup means of filter retention. If someone over tightened it the last time, it can be a real bear to get it back off. I have always had good luck with filter straps, but sometimes a screw driver through the side of the filter needs to be done as a last resort. Heck, there have been a few were I have had to tear the filter housing apart to get at the top plate to then use a punch & hammer into the holes in the top to get it to release...

Old 02-18-2015, 09:29 AM
Beginning Member
Cody Zakowski is on a distinguished road

Thank you, I might have to try the screw driver or tear down the housing, This thing is stuck using the strap me and my buddy both tried with very little movement of the filter. The last time he had it done he took it to a shop, I was like did they torque this thing up in there or what lol. Thanks very much for the quick reply and suggestions, now I know what other options I got to get this dang thing off and a new one put on.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM
BirchyBoy is on a distinguished road

When you put the new one on, rub a little oil on the ring and it should help next time around.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

And they only need to be hand tight and 1/2 more turn with a strap wrench when you put the new one on.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:46 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

chances are the last one was put on dry

when you get the old one off make sure the gasket comes off with the old filter

as stated make sure to oil new filter gasket before installing

Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gregg64
And they only need to be hand tight and 1/2 more turn with a strap wrench when you put the new one on.
You can still over tighten a filter by hand. I have got them tight enough by hand to end up in this same issue.
I lube them as stated, install filter using two fingers(or until the gasket makes contact) and then give it a 1/2 turn. So far I have never had one leak and have always got them back off by hand.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Starting Member
Gregg64 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TZFBird
You can still over tighten a filter by hand. I have got them tight enough by hand to end up in this same issue.
I lube them as stated, install filter using two fingers(or until the gasket makes contact) and then give it a 1/2 turn. So far I have never had one leak and have always got them back off by hand.
Thats pretty much what i mean by hand tight. some guys can really gorilla things with one hand though. It doesnt take much to get these on with the proper amount of torque. You need to let the gasket do it's job. And yes, always lube the gasket. I even fill the filter with new oil before i install them.