Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Cant move Air intake cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member
kuojo is on a distinguished road
Default Cant move Air intake cover

Ok so trying to replace the camshaft sensor on the distributor, I have to remove the air intake on top of the engine block, I think its called the phyelm air intake or something, to actually get to the distributor. One problem- I just can't seem to get the thing to budge. I undid all the bolts, took off the sensor, and tried to release the seal by pulling a vacuum hose, and nothing has even affected it. It feel like its being held in place. Has anyone else had this issue or am I just missing something important? Can anyone help? I can try and provide pics but my camera doesn't like to work all that much. Thanks guys

Old 11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

this will cover more then you need but will show you how to take top end apart.

http://www.handymanliness.com/archiv..._99_Jimmy.html

hope that helps.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks! I was able to get it off the engine and take apart most the distributor. Now I have another question (sorry if these questions seem very obvious, I just learning how to do this): How do I get the distributor off? According to the chiltons manual I should just be able to loosen the clamp bolt and it comes right up but I have no idea how to loosen the bolt. I can't fit a wrench or a rachet in the small space so is there something I need to move? Something else I have to do before I can lift the distributor out? I will post pics as soon as possible.

Here are some pictures with what I am dealing with. Am I missing a step or do I need to move something? I have no idea what to do. Please help

Attached Thumbnails Cant move Air intake cover-distributor-bolt-.jpg   Cant move Air intake cover-rachet-bolt.jpg   Cant move Air intake cover-wrench-bolt.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-06-2011 at 08:29 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

I used a short 10 mm wrench. Once it was broken loose I could use my fingers the rest of the way.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

make sure you mark it!!!
or you will mess up your timing

Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Beginning Member

Its all marked and ready to go. Whoever has done work on this engine before used a 9\16 bolt instead of a 10mm and everything is to long to fit in the small space. I just tried with a 10mm

Old 11-06-2011, 08:21 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

try a socket and universal joint with a long extension?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Crows foot socket! Makes quick work of close clearance fasteners like that!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:35 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

They make wrenches for distributors....its the easy way and cheap.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Beginning Member

Ok.. I am gonna buy a set of crows feet sockets and a distributor wrench. Both will probably make my life easier. I will keep posted on how trying to get this bolt to loosen goes.