Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Can't re-align distributor

Old 03-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member
Phil Underhill is on a distinguished road
Default Can't re-align distributor

Hey all,

Just replaced intake manifold gaskets. Trying to replace distributor. I made a mark before removing it, and when re-installing it I can't get it to the mark. There seems to be only one place in the full 360 degree rotation that it'll seat fully, and that is about 20 degrees in advance (clockwise) of my mark.

Any advice here?

Old 03-19-2017, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

A little long 13 minutes but will walk through it. pretty simple

Old 03-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by newguy
A little long 13 minutes but will walk through it. pretty simple https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOR-9JZUUI0
Thanks for the link. Not really what I'm asking though since I understand the mechanics.

I just can't figure out why I can't seat the distributor in the position in which I removed it. Is this a common thing?

I realise I have to start slightly counter clockwise of where I want it to end to when seated.

Any further advice?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Phil Underhill
Thanks for the link. Not really what I'm asking though since I understand the mechanics.

I just can't figure out why I can't seat the distributor in the position in which I removed it. Is this a common thing?

I realise I have to start slightly counter clockwise of where I want it to end to when seated.

Any further advice?
Apologies, I missed the part about the oil pump drive. Seems like it'd moved since I removed the distributor. Is that common? Seems weird.

Old 03-20-2017, 04:59 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Possible. Long flathead screwdriver and then kinda feel around for the slot. When I found the shaft depth I put a piece of tape on my screw driver mark the depth

Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Yeah having to align the oil pump is pretty common. Like newguy said use your distributor to mark the depth of the pump so you don't do what I did the first time I tried this years ago and spend 30 minutes digging around in a hole at the back of your motor wondering why in the hell you can't turn this stupid thing because it can't be that hard right?!? It's also right in the center of the hole and very easy to slip right past it.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all the replies. And yeah, I spent forever digging around trying to find that DAMNED slot! I even dropped the screwdriver in there to a point where I couldn't grab it back out. Had to drive a self tapping screw into the screwdriver to pull it out. Irony?

Anyway, through what seems like blind luck and a lot of fumbling, I eventually realigned it although I still feel like I never actually 'found' the slot in the shaft. I did try to look down the hole, but couldn't get the angle.

Hopefully anyone who has this same issue witll encounter this thread and not make the same mistakes I did.

Thanks again, all.