Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

car dies while driving and at stop lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:49 AM
sjrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car dies while driving and at stop lights

Car dies while driving and at lights

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Car will die while i am driving and also at stop lights and then either the check engine light will come on or now the service engine light will come on. This is really getting frustrating

Old 02-28-2009, 12:52 AM
sjrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: car dies while driving and at stop lights

Car will die while i am driving and also at stop lights and then either the check engine light will come on or now the service engine light will come on. This is really getting frustrating

Old 02-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

first off knowing what your driving (year, engine, tbi or cpi/scfi, 4wd/2wd etc) is essential (most people put this info in the signature box so it always added to their posts automatically you can do this under my profile at top of the page), secondly check/service engine light is your vehicle telling you something get the codes read (autozone and advance do this for free) and post what they are and we will gladly do our best to help you isolate the issue from there.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

While it may be quite frustrating for you, without more information, we can do nothing. Stalling while driving or when stopped really is not a good description of your problem. Does it just shut off like you turned the key off? Or does it chug then die? There are many ways for a vehicle to stall and your description of what happens is crucial details for us to properly diagnose the problem. Remember, we could be thousands of miles away. You are right there with the vehicle.

What you are driving is a definite requirement, but a good description of the problem is needed as well.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 PM
tonysrich is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have a simular problem. Its a 1989 full size 5.7l k-5. The engine dies (check engine light pops on then truck dies)while Im driving down the street. I have changed plugs,wires,cap+rotor,fule filter and still same outcome. Im going to change the fuel pump next and pray that dose the trick. I will keep you guys informed on my progress. Any Ideas are appreciated....

Thanks,
William

Old 03-01-2009, 01:30 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

tonysrich,
We don't know what type vehicle the original poster has, so your problem may or may not even be related to his. Please start a new thread in 'Full Size K5 Tech'.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Beginning Member
runnin blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

something similar has been happening to me the rpm gauge will serge and the car will idle rough, die whenever it feels like basically. for me it was the egr valve, it needed to be cleaned. so if your rpm gauge is surging. that might be your problem.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

it might be the mass air flow sensor.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 PM
mollys99 is on a distinguished road

I know I'm new to this, but my 1999 blazer was having the same issue... Long story short, my fuel pump needed to be replaced 4 times, because the aftermarket ones were throwing off the sensors for whatever reason. Sadly, only the first one was covered under the 1 year warranty the shop had for it.