Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Carbon Buildup

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:03 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Carbon Buildup

I took my blazer in for a oil change and maintenance inspection, and they told me I have significant carbon build-up. They said that's the reason my gas pedal sticks a little when I accelerate (takes an harder step than normal, then it breaks free and is fine rest of the drive). My question is what is the best way to remove this carbon build-up? I checked the throttle cables from the firewall to the throttle body and nothing is obstructing/carbon-y, but I sprayed some carb cleaner on there to see what happens. Will running some STP fuel system cleaner/injector cleaner clear up some carbon deposits?

I've got 95k miles on it, and I know I need to replace my fuel filter. Should I replace the filter prior to running the system cleaners?

Thanks for all the help!

Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Carbon Buildup

The carbon buildup they speak of is inside the throttle body. You can attempt to clean it without removing it from the engine, but it is best to thoroughly clean it with it off of the engine. Use some sensor safe carbon cleaner and an old tooth brush for stubborn spots.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Thank you! I'll do that this weekend!

Also, when I was doin some research, I read some articles about how the fuel additives and cleaners can be pretty harsh on the engine? A few sites I looked at even said to never put those in. Is there any stock in that?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have been running fuel injector cleaner (of one type or another) at every oil change in all of my vehicles for a very long time. I have noticed no ill effects from using cleaners.

I prefer Chevron w/ Techron now, however, I will say that I have had better results lately with GM fuel system cleaner on my grandfather's old pickup. If used as a preventative measure, Chevron works great at keeping everything in tip top shape.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:13 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

There should be no ill affects as long as you get one that is for a fuel injected vehicle. Also don't get stuff like race fuel/octane booster products (pretty much anything that says blatently on the front that it is gaurentted to increase horsepower). I have had good results with STP, Gumout, and Chevron w/ Techron.

Hope this helps, as far as before or after the fuel filter. My guess is more would go through a new filter that isnt all gunked up so it would probably benifical to add the fuel treatment after the fuel filter change.