Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Changed transmission now front drive shaft hit the cross member

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough
Default Changed transmission now front drive shaft hit the cross member

I went to the parts yard to get a transmission , I found one in a 94 olds bravada . It looked the same the wires all hooked up the same , but for some reason the front drive shaft hits the transmission cross member now . I'm using the same transfer case and it bolted up to the transmission just like it did to the old one . I did get a interchange list from the parts guy and it said only 94 s10 blazer and sonoma . So maybe this transmission is a little different . Anyone have any ideas ?

Old 02-24-2011, 11:49 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

so this guy says that Gm made one for the Chevy's & GMC's (Chevy Blazer & GMC Sonoma), but made a different one for the Olds Bravada?

that makes no sense.

you did bolt it up correctly, right? (just asking)

how is your trany mount?

engine mount on the driver's side bad maybe?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
so this guy says that Gm made one for the Chevy's & GMC's (Chevy Blazer & GMC Sonoma), but made a different one for the Olds Bravada?

that makes no sense.

you did bolt it up correctly, right? (just asking)

how is your trany mount?

engine mount on the driver's side bad maybe?
Yea it bolted up great I put it in by myself and I could not have asked for it to go better . And yea the interchange list did not have the bravada any years , I had my core transmission with me so I did look it over real good and I didnt notice any difference . The engine mounts are all brand new , one thing I did notice when taking the transmission out of the olds was the cross member was flat not a round bar . I'm thinking this is probably the problem , but I was just wondering if anybody else out there has run into this problem . With the transfer case bolted up it seems like its lower by about a inch or so , I am very mechanicly inclinded but I just don't understand why there different .

The story with the old transmission is something else , when I checked the fluid It said full . but when I started disassembling the it water started coming out . I don't no how the thing was even working I swear to god there was only a quart of fluid in the hole thing tranfercase and tranny the rest was water . So the knocking noise was the tranny pump , it sounded like the engine . But with this tranny in it sounds great the engine is the clearest sounding ever no knocking or ticking what so ever . I drove this blazer back and forth to work 120 miles a day every day but sunday for the last six months , and it was making the knocking noise pretty much the hole time , sometimes it would go away . I don't no how it kept going and it shifted great the hole time .

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-25-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member yet to respond.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is the transmission mount proper? There shouldn't be any difference in the transmission itself... Is there any way that the cross member could be put in upside down or backwards?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Beginning Member
boostedretard is on a distinguished road

Is it possible that the bravada was AWD? I have read that the transfer case on the AWD is identical but the holes are clocked a little bit? You may need to go back and get the crossmember or modify yours.

Edit: did some research they say the S10 family with AWD have a flat crossmember and the 4WD have the round cross. Im pretty sure you got a trans from an AWD

Last edited by boostedretard; 02-25-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The transmission case itself is identical regardless of drivetrain configuration (2wd, 4wd, or AWD). The clocking (if present) would be in the adapter between the transmission and the transfer case. If you used the adapter from the AWD transfer case, then this is very possibly the source of the problem.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:22 AM

yes I did use the adaptor that came with the new transmission and I didn't even notice if it was a all wheel drive . I wasn't to worried about it , I figured I'd just have a two wheel drive till I got it figured out but now my transfur case is stuck in 4 lo . The only thing I did was pull the drain plug on the bottom of it and when I did a spring came out and fell into the drain pan , I did put it back in but could something else besides the spring have fallen out to . When I try to put in in four high it blinks then goes back to 4 low .