Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Starting Member
Jfutch101 is on a distinguished road
Default check engine light

Hey all i just put on my air intake and my check engine light is on why is that i just checked the oil and i had to put a quart in but then it came back the next day and today i went wheeling and my oil pressure was dropping so i had to keep my truck reved above 1000 rpms and when i came home the tube on the intake was off so i put it back on and started my truck it was still there and the oil pressure was back i think i need to fix the fitting that holds the tube up but can someone tell me why this engine light is on plz

Old 06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is the code...? Your truck is trying to tell you that something is wrong. No use guessing at what it could be. Take it to your nearest Autozone or Advance Auto and have them read the code. Post the code and we can trouble shoot from there.

Better yet, once you have the code, have a look at the 2nd stickied thread in the Tech Article (DIY) section to see if the diagnostic sheet has already been posted.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Starting Member

what do you mean code

Old 06-10-2009, 01:39 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Auto Zone will know what you're talking about. Tell them your Engine Light is on and you need to have the codes scanned. There is a little plug-in type thing by your E-Brake lever in your truck, they will plug in a hand-held machine that will spit out a code (example..P0124) ...something to that effect. Every code has it's own meaning, once you know the code, you know the problem and we can begin to help you find a way to fix it.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Starting Member

ok will it be bad if i drive my truck around with it on?

Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the CEL (Check Engine Light) is not flashing:

'drive my truck around' for a day = OK
'drive my truck around' until I get ready to do something about it = BAD

Old 06-10-2009, 02:42 PM

Well my SES Light has been on for going on 13k miles so....

Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

And...why?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM

Because I took it in and its something to do with the air pump, shop told me it's not vitally important to fix and to fix it when I have the $680 to do so. The truck runs perfectly. and I have more important things to pay for like college.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Starting Member

ok it just shut off so it was getting to much air into the intake i hope i fixed the problem

Quick Reply: check engine light