Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Cleaning MAF, TB, IAC, & EGR

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member
BDS_237 is on a distinguished road
Default Cleaning MAF, TB, IAC, & EGR

Been reading all of the "how-to's" and other input on cleaning these items through different threads. I really appreciate all of the input. My question here is about the different cleaners to be used.

I went to Autozone today and they have specific cleaners for everything; one for the TB; one for the MAF; and one for EGR/PCV valves.

Do I need to buy each specific one, or can I buy the MAF sensor cleaner and use it on all of them? I am thinking this one because it is safe for sensors, I don't know about the others.

Thanks.
-Sean.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I mainly use electrical parts cleaner on the MAF and sensor safe throttle body cleaner on the throttle body & EGR/PCV valve. Throttle body cleaner and EGR cleaners are so similar that I wouldn't worry about it. I use the electrical cleaner on the MAF because I think it works better than throttle body cleaner. I don't know if I ever have tried actual MAF cleaner.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, thanks for the information.

-Sean.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, I feel real dumb asking this - but I have to.

In referencing this article: https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...eat+write+gary I went looking under my hood to confirm where stuff was, and there does not appear to be an EGR valve. At least not where he says it is.

At the front of the intake manifold all i have is the coolant pipe, there is nothing next to it as referenced in his picture with the yellow circle around it. I have tried looking all over the motor without any success in finding it. His example was a 2000, and I have a 2002.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

-Sean.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The Mid-02 on up trucks use updated engines which do not have an EGR valve and have the updated MFI fuel injection spider. One less thing you have to worry about.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Swartlkk. However, from what I read on hear, I don't know that that is a fair trade off if something were to ever go wrong with the spider...

Old 04-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Administrator

That is the better spider. Much less to go wrong with it. And it is located in exactly the same place as the older SCFI spider. Actually, it can be swapped into an SCFI application and is the recommended replacement for any '96 thru mid-02 SCFI motor.

About the only down side is that the MFI spider is not capable of flowing as much fuel as the SCFI spider, however, that is not a concern unless you are looking to really squeeze all of the power out of the engine as you can.