Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:30 AM
ptg327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: coolant leak

i don't understand the difference. besides thermostats and changing coolant i've never had to replace one.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:18 AM

how would i take the radiator out? like whats what and what arethe stpes to follow

Old 10-19-2008, 11:42 AM

does anybody know? because i hear that there are tranny lines to take off and there are A/C lines that i should not touch.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow... Well... Not sure how to answer someone who is so patiently waiting for information...

First I guess I will ask if you are comfortable doing this kind of work. It really is nothing to remove the radiator, but if you have to ask so many questions, spread out across so many consecutive posts (last part of #4) just minutes behind each other, I really have to wonder.

As far as removing the radiator, this task is one that any person that is familiar with basic hand tools can do. First, drain the radiator (either with the drain plug which is on the passenger tank at the very bottom if it is there or by removing the lower radiator hose). Then remove the upper fan shroud. Disconnect the transmission cooler lines, oil cooler lines (if equipped) and the radiator hoses. Last pull the radiator out the top.

Replacing the tanks is something else entirely. I would say that is outside the typical DIYer as far as doing it correctly. It is a nice thought to save some money, but I have seen a lot of people do it incorrectly and end up wasting time and money.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:33 PM

so thoses 3 or 4 hard lines are tranny and oil cooler lines? they are oneach side of the radiator? the ones that would come off with a wrench?when the radiator is out im just going to replace it with one from a junkyard with low miles and no front end damage.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Transmission lines are on the passenger side and get removed with a wrench. The oil lines (if you have them) are on the driver side of the radiator and should have a clip that holds them in. Remove the clip and pull the line out (oil will spill). With the line out, put the clip back into the fitting on the radiator. When you put it back together, just push in on the oil cooler lines until you hear/feel/see them snap into place.