Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Coolant leak around throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:55 AM
filtalr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Coolant leak around throttle body

Had a leak yesterday - thought it was the LIM again (replaced last year) - but found it was coming from around the throttle body. I didn't replace the TB gasket when I did the LIM gaskets. Does coolant run around that area and could that gasket cause the said leakage?
Thinking the answer is obviously yes -- but can't find concrete info on that - I searched and found a TON of info about LIM leakage but nothing particular to my issue thru 4 pages of search results.
Thanks!

Old 09-04-2015, 06:46 PM

I also noticed today that it seems to also be leaking around the MAP sensor.. what gasket or combination of gaskets do I need? Would that mean the plenum is full of coolant? Is that even possible with the engine still able to remain functional?? Bewildered here .. help please.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:17 AM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

If you are lucky, I would bet your upper radiator hose is leaking down onto the plenum making it look like the throttle body and map sensor locations are leaking. Otherwise, there really shouldn't be coolant coming out from around those areas. If there truly is coolant coming from there, then I think yous gots some problems.... On a cold engine, take the air intake off and check the clamp on the upper radiator hose. I would also pressure test the cooling system cold...

Hope that helps.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
If you are lucky, I would bet your upper radiator hose is leaking down onto the plenum making it look like the throttle body and map sensor locations are leaking. Otherwise, there really shouldn't be coolant coming out from around those areas. If there truly is coolant coming from there, then I think yous gots some problems.... On a cold engine, take the air intake off and check the clamp on the upper radiator hose. I would also pressure test the cooling system cold...

Hope that helps.
Just an update on the solution (I hate searching for similar problems and never seeing what solution was found).

Well I didn't think it was possible that the upper radiator hose was leaking - since it was barely a year old - but dammit if it didn't have a small pinhole on the downside facing the plenum where I couldn't see it. No more cheap hoses from O'Reilley's anymore.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:17 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Nice work! Thanks for the update, glad it was a simple fix!!