Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Coolant + oil leak on oil pan. Source ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 PM
RedBlezer is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant + oil leak on oil pan. Source ideas?

Hey blazer boys, I’m planning on taking my blazer on a 5,000km roadtrip in a week. Its always leaked some golden coloured oil underneath the oil pan. Today I checked and its bright orange. Meaning the gold oil was mostlikely a 30/70 oil to coolant split and now it seems like a lot more coolant than oil.
i was ok with the oil leak, seemed to be consistent enough. This coolant leak worries me. Cant find any source on top, can only follow the drips up the side. Rad seems pretty clean. I’m banking on it being the intake manifold gasket. Which ill need to start doing now if I want to have it all properly put together in time for the trip.

Last edited by RedBlezer; 03-22-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:28 PM

Coolant resevoir is about 1” under the min line and needs about a quart or 2 between oil changes.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:22 AM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RedBlezer
I’m banking on it being the intake manifold gasket.
That would've been my guess too.

Old 03-23-2019, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

If there is no other source for the coolant leak and the coolant has started to drop, it could very well be the lower intake manifold gaskets.

A concern would be that if you have already had coolant in the engine oil that your main bearings could be damaged.

I have read that if your oil is full synthetic that perhaps little damage might have been done. This would be because the water could mix differently with the coolant.

What color is your oil?

Old 03-23-2019, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
If there is no other source for the coolant leak and the coolant has started to drop, it could very well be the lower intake manifold gaskets.

A concern would be that if you have already had coolant in the engine oil that your main bearings could be damaged.

I have read that if your oil is full synthetic that perhaps little damage might have been done. This would be because the water could mix differently with the coolant.

What color is your oil?
yeah that would be a nightmare. Coolant is orange, oil is still golden (just did a conv. oil change). I’m just worried about doing the intake gasket and having it break down on me during the trip due to my inexperience with such large jobs.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran

yeah that would be a nightmare. Coolant is orange, oil is still golden (just did a conv. oil change). I’m just worried about doing the intake gasket and having it break down on me during the trip due to my inexperience with such large jobs.
There are a lot of threads on changing out the LIM gaskets. I did it as soon as I learned about how they can fail.

There is a possibility that it is not the gaskets but rather a leaky hose. I heard of one guy's who had a heater hose that had a pin-hole in it.

Have you driven or run it since the oil change? What does the oil look like? When there is a catastrophic leak, reports are that the oil and coolant will mix turning into something that looks like chocolate milk. If you don't have that, then either the leak into the lifter valley is not bad or the coolant is leaking elsewhere.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
There are a lot of threads on changing out the LIM gaskets. I did it as soon as I learned about how they can fail.

There is a possibility that it is not the gaskets but rather a leaky hose. I heard of one guy's who had a heater hose that had a pin-hole in it.

Have you driven or run it since the oil change? What does the oil look like? When there is a catastrophic leak, reports are that the oil and coolant will mix turning into something that looks like chocolate milk. If you don't have that, then either the leak into the lifter valley is not bad or the coolant is leaking elsewhere.
oil still looks clean, definitely no choco milk I know exactly what you’re talking about. Does the coolant have to leak through the oil to leak out the LIM? I hope its a hose. Ill probably have the block and coolant pressure tested asap so I can at least know where the source is

Old 03-23-2019, 11:59 PM
BF Veteran

oil still looks clean, definitely no choco milk I know exactly what you’re talking about. Does the coolant have to leak through the oil to leak out the LIM? I hope its a hose. Ill probably have the block and coolant pressure tested asap so I can at least know where the source is
When the LIM goes catastrophically, coolant will gush into the lifter valley and cover the lifters and cam, and the cam bearings on its way down to the oil pan from where it can get sucked up by the oil pump and pushed through the main crank bearings. Apparently all those contact surfaces can get ruined pretty quickly, i.e. less than a minute. If your oil is clean, then you either have a very small leak into the lifter valley with the water evaporating or it is leaking elsewhere. If you discover that the leak is elsewhere, then I'd suggest planning to replace those gaskets sometime soon anyway.

When I replaced my LIM gaskets, I thought I could see where the plastic frame/carrier for the gasket was starting to fail. If/when you replace them on yours, be sure to use good RTV on the front and back block rails as I think I have a small oil leak from the front of mine where I could have sealed it better.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:06 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Like you both already mentioned, it's probably the LIM gasket, but I've seen leaking from the freeze plugs, too. Also, if you're going to change the LIM gaskets, you might as well do the valve cover gaskets at the same time.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:14 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom A
Like you both already mentioned, it's probably the LIM gasket, but I've seen leaking from the freeze plugs, too. Also, if you're going to change the LIM gaskets, you might as well do the valve cover gaskets at the same time.
Ditto on the valve cover gaskets. The FelPro kit with the better metal framed LIM gaskets includes the valve cover gaskets too. I went ahead and purchased new LIM bolts. too.